Monday, April 23, 2007

around the world in 4900 days

One of my oldest nephews is near the end of his six week trip around Europe. A few days ago he was in Barcelona and was planning on staying there for a few days before taking a boat to somewhere in Italy. I remember well being 20ish and doing something quite similar, but I never did make it to Barcelona. It's now a destination on my life goals list.


I thought I'd do a little advance planning for the trip so I entered the "from" and "to" into Google maps. It seemed as though it was going to be a fairly straight forward trip, until I read #24 of the instructions on the left.

I currently swim about 9km per week. If I start now, I should be stepping out of the water on the shores of Spain just in time for my 53rd birthday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

One gets the impression that Google must be a great place to work...

Brian the Mennonite said...

It does sound like the guy is quite a card...but it made me wonder if someone actually tried to follow Googgle's directions and then died trying to swim across, would Google be liable? Hmmmmm...

Romeo Morningwood said...

Well you will probably pass Cherry along the way.
Whenever I hear the name Barcelona I am instantly reminded of MANUEL! on Fawlty Towers..
"Meestah Fawltee..that wooman, she go craaaazee!"

anna said...

That's hilarious.

Cherrypie said...

Hi, Brian. I'm glad to see you are beating me on the infrequency of your posts.

Give me a shout if you and Joyce do ever make it to Barcelone, and I'll pop out to meet you x

gloria said...

OK, seriously? SWIM? Wtf?