- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled or scrubbed, and chopped
- 4 cups stock or water (I used stock)
- 1 &1/2 tsp. salt
- optional: 1 medium potato, chopped (for heartier soup) (I didn't use)
Cover and simmer 12-15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 small cloves crushed garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews or almonds ( I used almonds because Arianna loves almonds)in butter with a little salt, until onions are clear.
Puree everything together in a blender until smooth. Return the puree to a kettle or double-boiler and whisk in one of the following:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt or buttermilk plus a little honey
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I used this option, but next time I'm trying the buttermilk option)
Heat very slowly.
Seasoning combinations to choose from:
1. 2 pinches nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. dried mint, dash of cinnamon (I used this combination)
2. 1/2 to 1 tsp each of thyme, margoram, and basil
3. 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger root, sauted in butter plus a dash of sherry, (add just before serving)
Garnish with grated apple or toasted nuts or yogurt or sour cream. (I used sour cream because that's what was on hand).