Monday, July 23, 2007

prince of tides

About a billion years ago, I was heavily involved in triathlon training. The running and the cycling always seemed to be the easiest things in the world to find time for. The swimming was always weak. I usually started to panic two weeks before the season started, and then suddenly bought a membership to the pool. I never made it there more than two or three times for the early morning group swim...and then never was able to swim more than four lengths without stopping for 5 minutes. When it came to race day, I was usually one of the last out of the water.

Like I said...that was about a billion years ago. The tides have now turned. Swimming has become almost as natural as breathing, and the running and the cycling have all but ceased.

I was asked the other week if I would be interested in filling in a vacant spot in the swimming portion of a triathlon relay. This is a triathlon I had done all on my own oh so very long ago. But now all I had to do was swim...sounds too good to be true. "I'll do it. I'd love to."

I couldn't believe how anxious I became after I said yes. I was glad that it was really short notice, because I couldn't sleep, and I was driving my wife crazy. The night before was crazy...tossing, turning...more turning.

I was worried about lake swimming. All my training had been done in a pool. Very simple format...back and forth in an easy to negotiate lane, perhaps with one other person sharing the space.

The lake is unfamiliar. The lake is cold. I would be wearing an untested wetsuit, and there were about a hundred others attacking the space at the same time. The waiver I signed mentioned something about possible dangers in the swim portion: kicking, pushing, punching, scratching, drowning... How nice.

The race is now behind me and the t-shirt and finisher's medal are in hand. My time was only about 2 minutes slower than it would have been in a pool, so I am actually quite pleased.

There is something that tends to happen to a fella, though, at an event such as this. It's called inspiration. I have a feeling that the tides could be turning once again.

7 comments:

Cream said...

Well done, Brian!
Indeed, all you need is inspiration... and maybe a little perspiration!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Although, one doesn't tend to perspire much in a cold lake. :)
Hardly seems like an effort, then, huh?

Christine said...

Congrat's Brain! :) Inspiring to read as well.

andy said...

Respect!! Doubly so, since I've always been an utterly pathetic swimmer.

You're absolutely right in that last paragraph, and I think it probably is a guy thing. Every so often it seems we need to do something significant to inspire ourselves.

That's largely why I've signed up for a charity cycle ride to Amsterdam in September.

Romeo Morningwood said...

GO YOU!
So were you more of an Aquaman fan or Prince Namor the Submariner fan?

I did most of my swimming tests in a Lake getting beaten against the public dock by waves from passing boats. Extracting leeches off of my legs was fun too.

I am impressed and very proud of you and your sudden surge of testosterone. Now you act like you got a pair and parade around town with your little medal hanging around your neck.
Wear it at the grocery store..that would be Awesome!

anna said...

Wow! I am in awe. I've always had great admiration for marathon runners and even moreso for triathlon athletes. Good for you! You should definitely be proud of yourself and I can't wait to read about how this inspires you further.

Romeo Morningwood said...

((ring))

((ring))

((ring))

((ring))

"My Word!"

(click)