Sunday, January 14, 2007

can I get a witness

I've spent eight years of my life in post secondary education. That is not an entirely unusual thing. Most of the time though, people who dedicate that amount of time and effort, usually end up with something that they can truly hang their hat on. A hook significant enough to securely hold their hat for a very long time.

My eight years actually produced two hooks. The first was a four year religious education at a major Canadian Bible College. The second was a four year degree in education at a secular university. After my first degree, feeling the pride of my hat being well hung, I fully expected that my formal education had officially come to an end. I was on my way to working in the comfort of the church's warm arms, securely tucked under the wings of an eagle. Spiritually speaking, that is.
Confused that I was unable to land anything of interest, I became anxious about my options. Joyce and I had become serious in our relationship almost immediately and I felt pressure to make a move in a definite direction. Something having to do with a ship that's moving and being easier to steer got me thinking about hook number two. I took the first steps and enrolled. I could get a few courses credit from hook number one towards hook number two if I was willing to make religion my minor. A lot of good that had done me in the past. I declined any credit, and so I was on square one. Four full years to go. We can do this.
The years passed quickly. The first two of four children were born and I was feeling a little less anxious every year. Teaching was definately my thing. I was good enough. I was smart enough. And gosh darn it, my students liked me.
Nearly ten years and three schools of friends later, I've come to love how my hat hangs firmly on it's place. Occasionally I walk past the place on the wall where the first hook is mounted. I've taken some of the mounting hardware and used it elsewhere. It hangs there loosely. I never use it. I was asked a few days ago by someone who uses a similar hook if I ever used it. I had to say no.
I remembered a time when I would also move about asking anyone if they had a place to hang their hat, or whether they would like one. I actually took a freshman course where I was taught how to do this. I was told that I was salty and that when people tasted me, they would become thirsty. Taste and see that I am good. I was afraid. I didn't want people to taste me. I was required to write about at least one actual contact where I offered my seasoning. Witnessing, it was called. That was the first and only assignment where I received a 0%.
Sinse then, I've become a target. People are now coming to me with their salt and offer it sheepishly. Taste and see...they say.
No thanks...I'm feeling a little full.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping your hat stays on the hook in our school permanently. You definitely add spice to the mixture.

Ali

andrea said...

Though you only talk about it guardedly, and in metaphors, if at all, I am plugged into your spiritual struggles and will continue to be interested in watching them play out, if you care to share. I struggle myself but from a much different place/direction.

I can tell from your blog how well suited you are to teaching. Teaching worked fine for me but I know I had the potential to be much better than I was. My distractions were twofold: my art and my children. I truly believe that teachers need to make teaching their priority and it was only #3 for me. I still miss it, though.

Excellent post, Brian.

PS You coming to Vancouver in Feb to see Stephen Fearing in concert with me?

anna said...

The best teachers are the ones who love their jobs, but I guess that applies to any profession.

I don't mind people who witness to others. I understand that their intentions are good and they're just doing what they think they should be doing. I only have a problem with it when they try to shove their beliefs down your throat when you've clearly told them you aren't interested. That's when I become intolerant of them.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Alice: First of all. thaqnks for commenting. I'm almost hoping that Donn won't read this post 'cause I know he won't be all that thrilled with the fact that you have only commented on Joyce's and my blog. I guess you could always start saying something on his.
Thanks for your kind words. And Ditto on all the compliments. You're a real peach yourself.

Andrea: "Guarded" is right. Most of my thoughts simply remain as that. I want to write a whole lot more, but I'm afraid that I would scare too many people. I'm in a difficult spot.
Thanks for your support. It really does mean a lot to me.
I'm going to Fearing's concert here in Winnipeg on the 27th, but I'd actually rather see him in Vancouver with you at the St. James Hall. It would just add a couple of zeros to the price of the ticket.

Anna: Tolerance is the key. Whenever that is missing, there is no connection. And spirituality is ALL about the connections.
Not everyone wants to connect in the same way either, so there's another issue. What's a Mennonite supposed to do? Thanks for your comment. You're a good egg.

Romeo Morningwood said...

You have nothing to fear but fear of yourself. People are attracted by actions far more than they are by words. When others speak we put our filters on high and glean them for any sign of an Achilles Tendon.

Witnessing when done out of sincerity is much more palatable than the fear based type that I endured throughout the 80s.

Either way we all hang our hats on some kind of hook...St.Bob said it plainly,
"You gotta serve somebody".

Choosing a cosmology to hang your hat on is no easy task and most people just kind of toss their hat at the whole rack and see where it lands. That drives me crazy but I realise that most of us choose the path most often trzvelled because it is just easier.

You are salty just because of who you are and have chosen to remain. You're all of those wonderful things that Joyce goes on and on and on about!

Speaking of wives..ahem...if I ever catch my wife commenting over here again there will be consequences!

Anonymous said...

Sorry buddy, I've just come back from spending eight days with people who speak simply and plainly. I don't have a frickin' clue what you're trying to say here.

Brian the Mennonite said...

HE: That's all true. I told Joyce just last night that I haven't felt this free in a long time. Now I just have to figure out why.

Rod: Sure, but those twenty plain-speaking men also look for opportunities to "drop their soap", and you won't find any of that here either.