Thursday, January 11, 2007

art of motion

I got the CD I ordered today. Andy is outa sight. I just knew I would not be disappointed. And I love the album title, Art of Motion. That's the reason for today's post. I believe that there is quite an art to the motion of day to day living, or MOVING through one's day.

The day began with me having the luxury of sleeping in. Instead of waking at 5:46, I was able to instead rise at 7:10 because Thursday is not a pool day. One of only two in the week. I look forward to instead waking to the smells of the coffee being prepared and the sounds of day care children arriving at the back door.

This day I had the luxury of slowly making my lunch while sipping my second cup of Christmas gift Tim Horton's while the van warms in the garage, remotely started on this frigid morning.

The students have become more and more accustomed to my expectations and have come to appreciate the care and attention I place on the finer details of the daily plan. Sure they whin and complain, but that's because they are nearing that time in their lives when, I tell them daily that this is coming, that their brains turn to mush, and all they will be able to utter are complaints and protests.

Sarcasm is a fantastic classroom management tool. They don't tell you of this one in teacher college. But we all quickly discover that it is one of the more efective tools to build rapport and respect. It only works, however, if it is accepted as going both ways. It's a beautiful thing when you can connect through the eyes with someone attempting a connection through making familiar. The little smile begins in the corner of the mouth, and then quickly transforms the face into a knowing smirk. There are no unit plans for this. It's about being human.

The work day is through, and before going home I make one final connection. He says that Thursday is martini night. Tanqueray gin, dry vermouth, and a couple of really great olives. My mouth waters and my brain's tonic begins to stir. A quick stop before home would produce the same tradition.

Not three steps into the back entrance and I am greeted by my love who says she has something for me. A suddenly compact universe of skin and breath and hair. "That's for the lights", she says. I never imagined that flourescents in the basement could be so bright.

Dinner's done. All six in one room. "We should do this every night...this is family. The T.V. is off, doing homework, kids playing and laughing, music........and a good drink."

"A woman after my own heart", I say...or at least after my own liver.

8 comments:

anna said...

I totally agree about that thing with the connection and the sarcasm. The teachers I was most fond of when I was in school were the ones that could take it as much as they dished it out. When a student can harmlessly poke fun at a teacher and get a smile or laugh out of said teacher, that student immediately feels a sense of comradery with the teacher. The teacher is no longer just an authority figure - he becomes a pretty cool dude. Good for you for being a cool dude (or whatever the current terminology is).

Brian the Mennonite said...

"COOL" still works, but what my students really like to use is "ROCKS". They'll often add "Mr. Hildebrand ROCKS" on the bottom of their tests. I'm thinking they're hoping for bonus marks.

Thanks for the comment. It's pretty lonely over here these days.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Very Waltonesque!
Since I don't have a sarcastic bone in my body I have no idea what you are talking about...
but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night..

As I am prone to do from time to time I would like to quote the Good Book and remind you that in Genesis 2:18 it emphatically states that
"It is not good that man should be alone, I will make him a helper comparable to him"
..so there it 'tis.

btw
I have been rummaging about the ether searching for Banners and such and found Mandarin Design..
http://www.mandarindesign.com/vegasban.html
where did you and your awesome 'helper' make your cool banners.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Hey Donn, you've got an Avatar...very nice addition.

I got my banner template from Andrea via the help of her husband. He colours WITHIN the lines and understands the computer world quite well. I used the template from them and changed it a bit to do Joyce's. I'll give it to you if you want, but I'd have to come over to show you how to do it 'cause it would require too many words over the phone or email.
I'm not so good with the whole sprechene englishe so good. There'll be rum, won't there?

Romeo Morningwood said...

Gallons of it.
I am glad that you didn't say I could show you..
but then I'd have to kill you.

Anonymous said...

brian brian brian - fancy stumbling across you on this ginormous little interweb ;)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Wrangler: And you would be...?

Christine said...

I love how passionate you are about teaching!

After watching your Andy McKee video below, I watched a bunch of his other vids on youtube. He's fantastic. I sent the link to a few friends who all agree. Thanks for sharing!