Friday, March 02, 2007

question #3: grade 5 lunches

I've decided to skip over question #2 in lieu of a lighter subject...for now. (Sorry Donn. But I think you'll understand).
Question #3 comes from Michele who lives at your local laundromat.

"Tell me about your school lunches in grade 5."

Wow...this seems like an extremely easy question to answer after my beautiful sister Janice's question #1... Or is it?!

Lunches in grade five is a bit of a mystery to me as, when the lunch bell rings at 12:05, I'm outta there. The E.A.s (they used to be called teacher assistants) supervise while I am away. The students are given 20 minutes to devour everything that mother (sometimes father) has prepared, and then they are shoo-shooed outside (unless of course it is below minus 30 degrees celcius). The only thing I notice about their lunches after lunch is the garbage can NEARLY FULL of "I don't like that stuff", or "My mom knows I don't like it but she always puts it in my lunch."

I taught grade one for two years at a private school and also grade two at a separate private school. During lunch, I was required to be in the classroom while the students ate their lunches. I had a policy in my classroom that when the students said they were finished, they had to show me their lunch bags and prove to me that they had indeed eaten what mamma sent. If there was anything that they didn't want, they certainly weren't allowed to throw it out...they had to take it home and tell mom. If there was ever a time when I wasn't able to be there for the full 20 minutes, I would check the trash bin on my way in, remove, and hold up anything that I found to be a wasted (intact) lunch portion.

I'd sometimes find ziplocks with entire bagels with lox and cream cheese, unopened cans of mango and passion fruit drink, whole bananas, oranges, and apples, symetrically folded waxpaper wrapped smoked turkey on pumpernickle, home made cookies, and those really expensive fruit cups with 100% organic fruit. It drove me crazy. Instead of holding it all high in the air and crying, "who the hell threw this out?" I felt like taking it all home and giving it to the less fortunate (my own children...it was private school remember. They seemed to think paying staff 76% of standard salary is what Jesus would do.)

I haven't yet done that with my grade 5/6 class. But now that I am thinking about it and reminded of the incredible WASTE it is, I think I'll raise a little HELL on Monday.

Do you know what your children are eating for lunch?

8 comments:

mmichele said...

interesting. i was actually thinking about when YOU were in grade 5. my sister in law once said that she would just like to get her son a plastic apple that he could carry back and forth every day... her guilt would be assuaged because she had given him a piece of fruit but he wouldn't need to throw it out daily.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Oh...woops. I asked Joyce what she thought you meant by the question. She told me to ask you. I said, naaaa, she wants me to talk about my students lunches. D'oh.

Lunches in MY grade five were all about the balogna. I remember going grocery shopping with mom and her always stopping at the deli counter and asking for several pounds of sliced balogna. There was always one sandwich, an apple, two cookies(usually homemade), and a thermos of Kool-aid. Warren and Brad always had a better lunch than I did. Warren had SHAVEN ham...and more than one slice too. Brad usually had a fist full of chocolate bars. He would sometimes trade for my homemade chocolate chip cookies. He thought that my mom's were the best. My lunches, however, were way cooler than the kids who consistently brought egg salad sandwiches. They stink like you-know-what. And I never ate my food like Alvin. He smacked his food and usually took a sip from his thermos right after taking a bight from his sandwich, which meant that his food was getting all mixed up and wet and gross.(that seemed to be the most uncool thing to do, anyways).
One time, Mr. Bergen, took some of Brad's corn chips while we were playing baseball and lunch recess. We were going to get him fired. He retired a couple of years after that. We considered that our day in court.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...you called me beautiful, thanks!

Romeo Morningwood said...

part one;
Back in my day everybody had to eat Peanut Butter Sandwiches. Now that every 2nd kid has allegies (two of mine have EpiPens) and schools are now Peanut Free Fragrance Free Facilities I do not know how our species will survive. I suspect that the Insects will dominate the planet a lot sooner that we anticipated.

part two;
You need not single me out as a crusader of freedom from religion. Nothing secures your blog as a visitor free zone like a post questioning the validity of a higher being.

In the blogosphere you have about 45 seconds to enthrall your visitor...
if you are foolish enough to regurgitate trivial tidbits on the origins of politico-religious strife your visitor yawns and clicks over to a posting of puppy pictures..we all love puppies..and your sincere effort to examine the human condition is left to rot in cyberspace.

part three:
It is therefore a matter of blogonomics that I have become a purveyor of semi-delusional mid life crisis frat boy humor and an emporium of 'lite' flippant topical blurbs of inconsequential fluff in the hopes of retaining a smattering of viewers in search of entertainment. WHEW!

So listen up Buster...you can't pin that 'heavy' stuff on me anymore..
I sold out long ago...well a couple of posts ago anyway...although I am dying to comment on the 75% Salary thningamabob and how much of the 'money' is going towards providing a luxurious lifestyle for the 'leadership'..owth..

part four:
Last night on CNN they had a show on what is incredibly insulting to my intelligence and my well researched knowledge of the true message of the gospels which no sane person would refute..the 'altru(e)ism' of love thy neighbour, forgive, and give more than you take...

I won't say anything more about the Prosperity Gospel..
http://www.creflodollarministries.org/

D'OH! Sorry to ruin the warm fuzzies on your post on School Lunches.

What about them Jets?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Janice,
Yes. Yes I did.

Donn,
This is my first year of teaching where I have a class with NO food issues.
I wasn't my intent to single you out. Your question was #2 and it was along the same lines as #1. I thought that I would take a bit of a break from the high blood pressure. I did like getting 30 comments though. That's never happened before.

I watched a bit of that video clip from Dr. Dollar. It made me want to reach out and touch someone.

I haven't ever watched a Jets game so I can't comment. Perhaps this summer I'll make it down to the stadium and watch a game. :)

LDahl said...

It's monday.....so
was HELL raised?
I hope so, not that
I think it would do
much good.

Brian the Mennonite said...

I forgot about it on Monday and left it until today. It wasn't really hell that I raised, but it sure created a good discussion about waste. But I think you're right...it will probably come to nothing. It's human nature to be lazy. I'm QUITE human.

LDahl said...

Oh, me too...human I mean, but it seems such a shame that good food goes wasted when so many people in the world go hungry, and the rest battle their weight... stupid human is what I am:))))