Sunday, November 18, 2007

new focus

I'm a long ways away from early retirement.

14 years, in fact. 24 years from regular retirement.

That makes me feel good because I like what I do and I think I'll keep liking it for at least that long. But when it comes time to make those kinds of decisions, I don't want to make them in a panic.

Joyce and I have been to see the financial planners who tell us what we need to do from now until then, but it's all about money. He asked me what I did for a living and, after I told him I was a teacher, he said I guess your pretty much set then. I wasn't sure what to think about that. Was that good, was that bad? I later discovered that all he meant was that between now and my retirement, my income, aside from new contracts and Bill Gates sending me a tonne of cash for forwarding those emails, would stay pretty much the same. So we had to come up with a financial plan with what I could count on.

But, again, that's all about money. I hate it.

It's been about a year now since seeing the planner, and, well, things are pretty much the same...just like he said they'd be.

One thing has changed. I've begun to think about the time in my life when I won't be teaching. I've had visions of me standing and staring out the window just like I do with the first week of summer holidays. No plan for the day, just relax. Well before too long I'm driving Joyce crazy with the pacing and the staring. I'm sure I'll end up with a freshly sharpened #2HB pencil jabbed into the base of my neck before enjoying too much time at the window.

A couple of summers ago I realized that I had this tendancy, so I came up a plan for the entire summer long before the summer actually arrived. The plan took into account many of my passions and the things that I always wished that I had time for while school was in session. The transition was seamless. The plan actually went into effect a fews days before the summer started. Effortless motion from work to "rest".

So now, thinking about time on a much larger graphic organizer, I wish to plan, over the next 14 or so years, for a transition from work to a "whatever" and chronicling the evolution here. There is a definite direction. Like an idea with it's arms opened wide to embrace other ideas along the way. I'll do the forward motion and as you enter into my community we'll dine together on the present and the future.

The direction: A Philosophy.

Next post: In the beginning.

3 comments:

Romeo Morningwood said...

A+
Seine Sprachenntnisse im Englischen sind besser geworden!

I look forward to your great adventure mit viel Einsatz und Interesse beim Lernen. You are fruendlich, hoflich und arbeitet gern mit anderedn zusammen und bemuht sich sehr!

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Donn got ahold of the bi-lingual report card I'm using for my EAL students. He needs a vereinfachter Lehrplan.
Ali

andy said...

Deep thoughts, Brian. Been having similar ones myself. Similar timescale involved too - 13 years, albeit that circumstances dictate I hang in there until I'm 65.

One thing I've observed over the years is that people who achieve things, by whatever terms they measure achievement - from material at one end of the scale through to spiritual at the other - have invariably had some kind of plan, with the best kind of plan being one that sets direction rather than goal. Sounds like you're on a good track; I look forward to seeing where it takes you.