Thursday, September 29, 2005

Autumn

I feel like baking these days. It must be because the outdoors smell like Halloween. I always get this way in the autumn.
Tomorrow we leave for Clear Lake. We got bumped from Idelwilde cabins this year. Johnson is the destination, same as about ten years ago I guess. They are less expensive anyway. Good thing seeing as my cheque will be lower by about $600.00 this week. When the Hanover division looked at my credentials they saw that I had two degrees but didn't look at where the first one was from and based my salary on both. They now are telling me that Briercrest credits don't count and they need to correct the payments. Their bad, my loss, too bad. I wonder if Briercrest credits will ever be recognized and if so, will I be paid retroactively from the very beginning? Hmmmmmmm. That would be about $50,000.00 ish. That in-ground pool doesn't seem like such a bad idea after all does it Joyce?!
This morning Joyce and I had a brief glimpse back at the financial stuggles that we have come through and compared where we are now financially to a few years ago. If my cheque would have been $600.00 less during those times there would have been no cheque to deposit. Now the loss is annoying but it certainly won't cripple us. The thing now is not to get too comfortable and continue consuming until we are looking forward to the next salary increase so that we can consume more. God knows we already consume too much. I'm speaking as someone who ideally would like to be a minimalist. Just the essentials. Coffee, Levi's, my family, and that blissful feeling that everything will be O.K. The kind of feeling you get when you smell bread baking.
Tonight when I get home and Joyce leaves for work, I'll put the bread in, and after about 20 minutes everything will seem whole. I love the power that the combinbation of water, flour, yeast and heat has.
I always get this way in the autumn.

2 comments:

Christy said...

"I'm speaking as someone who ideally would like to be a minimalist. Just the essentials. Coffee, Levi's, my family, and that blissful feeling that everything will be O.K. The kind of feeling you get when you smell bread baking."

After my own heart. Love this post! :)

Brian the Mennonite said...

It felt right writing that sentence.