Friday, September 23, 2005

Cooking School


Last night I was invited out to Deluca's cooking school with my brother-in-law Mel and friend Ed Fast. It was a gift that Mel's wife had given him as a birthday present. Nice, I say.
Mel and I arrived almost 20 min. late and the class had already started. The chicken and spinach salad had already been demonstrated and the guests were served. We were seated in our reserved spot at Ed's table. He looked relieved to see us. The other three at the table were unfamiliar to him, although not unfriendly at all. One was an oriental woman who "worked with computers", she said. I asked if it was a home based business. "No. I work for IBM." "Do you enjoy your job", I asked. "Yes". Nothing more really needed to be said.
The other two seemed to be a couple. Young. Students, I imagined because they looked like the university type who were still experimenting with their "look" or personality type. The guy seemed self assured and his partner looked fresh, innocent and intelligent. We didn't have much opportunity to talk.
The evening was quite a bit different than what I had planned for in my imagination. I envisioned that we would be given aprons and a countertop filled with unprepared food and then told to have-at-it, following a demo of sorts. But we were the observers, the studio audience without the studio...although there were those fancy overhead mirrors that let you see right into the pots and pans and peoples bald spots (sorry Ed). It seemed a little studio-ish.
The food was good, the wine made it better, the company was limited in our contact...although Mel and I did get a good chance to talk during our drive to and out of the city. Mel is growing through a difficult part of his life adventure. He had a listening ear in me as he became honest and introspective. I pray for more honesty and clarity. Although if he gets too honest we will have to change his nickname. "Bullshit Mel" just won't due any longer.
I guess we all have some bullshit to get through on our way to the truth. I love this adventure, and I'm so glad that we're not alone.

No comments: