Saturday, July 29, 2006

get to the point


Carrying around sharp objects in your pocket is not usually recommended. On the other hand, something with a point can come in handy when the urge to write may suddenly arrise.

I always wonder, as I have a seat in a public washroom, where these people come up with their writing instruments. Sure it's probably keys or a small pebble, but more often than not, I will see colourful drawings utilizing a wide variety of mediums. Do these people plan for their restroom breaks by bringing their art supplies? Are campers usually that badly constipated that they need to provide amusements for the layover?

The writing and drawings are usually sexual. Evey now and again there will be a new joke respectfully scratched into the caretakers new paintjob. Most of the time, however, the pictures are common and the words, redundant.

Yesterday I read someones thoughts which were first of all scratched into the surface, and then traced with a permanent marker. I took this as a sign to pay attention. Someone's pain was real, and thoughts were provoking. Their point was well-intentioned.

I got it.

7 comments:

andrea said...

I was just having similar musings this afrternoon while 'taking a break' from an Aussie Rules game at Thunderbord Stadium at UBC (details details).

TheTart said...

This makes me want to go be a graffiti artist in public washrooms. Will make for interesting blogging!

Smooch,
The Tart
; *

Romeo Morningwood said...

Instead of wondering why they wrote some creepy apocryphal message of inner turmoil and seething contempt for all living creatures on the planet you should be wondering where the hell they are..like right now!

Always, always, always check the adjacent stalls first. There is more than one way to get caught with your pants down around your ankles....
cue Psycho stabbing music..

"REEE REEE REEE REE!"

Brian the Mennonite said...

andrea: do you mean you were having a Kit Kat?

Tart: That's actually a great idea for a project. I would feel bad, however, for the poor janitor who's got to saind blast or repaint every year.

HE: I think you were able to see someone's previous writings glowing through from underneeth the paint...or I missed the subliminal message. I think you've got some untapped empathic powers there.
Ever watch "Medium" ?
REEE REEE REEE!

Christine said...

I always look at the writing on the wall, there really isn't anything better to do while in there. I read a huge poem about abortion a few years back and underneath were other womens thoughts and experiences. Quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or should we all be asking, "Brian, why do you have a camera in a public washroom?"

The Unknown said...

Cool. Not your usual bathroom graffiti.
I love carrying a pen in my pocket. Just don't let it stab you in the... well you get it.
love