Saturday, November 19, 2005

Date with my Jane-Jane

This morning Jane and I went out for breakfast to Chicken Chef, which is the only place in town open in the morning. It's actually a good place to go even though it is the only place to go. After I poured my own coffee we sat down and started to consider what to order. We placed our order almost immediately as there was some kind of a lull in the business of the place. Jane told the waitress she wanted exactly what I was having. I smiled. I turned on the mental capacities which help me to search for great things to say and talk about with a nine-year-old who happens to be my daughter.
We spent the next twenty minutes or so talking about the family's plans for Christmas. We are planning to go to the Fort Garry Hotel in Winnipeg for a night and then attend the afternoon performance of The Nutcracker by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet.
The kids are excited about the rumors of there being a haunted room at the hotel. Arianna said that she would wander around the hotel at midnight (if someone else would go with her) to look for the ghost. Jane would be content to simply be with mom and dad and a really good bag of chips rather than wandering around looking for something that may not be there.
When it came time for Jane and I to dig into our meals, it became quite clear to me that I have indeed brought a truely delightful child into this world. Jane has the ability to be completely enthralled in a conversation and fully aware of the pure joy of a well fried meal at the same time. The way Jane dives into a meal is truely a ballet in itself. The choreography of the hash browns and the sunny side up suite was simply delightful. I think she has her love of food from her father.
In the end, for the final pirouette, she saved the sunny side egg yokes for the last. Using her fork as an instrument of levitation, she gently placed them, one at a time, into her mouth and closed it in pure delight. I could just taste it as I watched. She fully understood what I was smiling about.
I'm surprised by joy quite often when I take the time to enjoy my children.
During these time of contemplation I can (honestly and reverently) say that I am truely blessed.

No comments: