Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tomorrow's Art Lesson

My grade two class is excited for art tomorrow. I showed them a "rub out" picture I had done using charcoal and an eraser. I first completely coated the plain white paper in charcoal and then simply created a picture by rubbing out the image using a soft white eraser.

After I had finished the demonstration, I passed it around the class for them to see and feel, and then told them that tomorrow they will be given a chance to do the same. They can't wait.

You can see their fingerprints all over the picture. I think I'll leave them there. It looks loved.

3 comments:

andrea said...

When I taught Grade 2, Wednesday afternoons were set aside for art and only art. The kids could hardly wait.

Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm sure you taught them art concepts and not simply gave them a craft time, which often happens when talent is lacking. I've tried as much as possible to give them something small each week, even if its a concept like "organic shape". I've been using some of the step by step material from a T.V. program called Art Attack. It's quite basic but the kids like it and it is easy to teach and follow. The website is handy. I'd be interested in hearing what materials you used, if it wasn't simply raw talent, which in your case it probably was.

andrea said...

Craft time! Me? Ha! I am decidedly un-crafty. :)

I tried to vary the medium as much as budget/physical limitations would allow and tie the subject matter into whatever classroom theme was happening.

BTW the school where I taught had long mornings and short (1.5 hour) afternoons, a small begvpart of which was always set aside for reading if you're worried about the short attention spans. Unfortunately it was never enough time, even for 7 year olds.