Saturday, December 03, 2005

Fed, But Not Nourished

I've been doing a lot of reading lately that has been challenging many of the things that I have assumed to be true for over 30 years. I wouldn't say that I have dropped what I've been holding on to, but I think the chaff is being slowly separated from the wheat.

We just returned from having a visit with family a couple of hours drive from here. The kids were able to run around the farm, climb up into the hayloft and swing on the Tarzan rope. Two young calves, three grunting pigs, and seven barn cats...two of which were twins that looked like mocha almond fudge icecream, so Joyce says. "Did you want to take them home or do you want to lick them". The kids were all given a ride around the area in the big new John Deer tractor. Lunch consisted of everything homemade. Delicious. Everyone had wide eyes and consumed until we were satisfied. Ginger snaps and good coffee for dessert.

Later in the day we made gingerbread houses at the dining room table. "Let's take off the tablecloth. We don't want it to get covered in icing". Candy was sorted and divided. Little Sammy was content to watch dad "help" while he consumed the tempting colourful treats. A real masterpiece by young standards. "Dad, you're good at that." "Thank you." More treats were consumed and then out come the peanuts in the shell...more coffee.

Home now and Joyce walked past a moment ago and said that she hates that feeling of being fed but not nourished. The feeling that you get from eating things that taste good but don't satisfy. It's a comparing thing. The difference between todays lunch and what was consumed the rest of the day. Homemade goodness to tempting sugar treats. Wheat and the chaff.

The more I eat from the wheat, the less I want of the chaff. In fact, lately I can't seem to get enough wheat. I'm even discovering that there are different varieties of wheat which are also nourishing. I hope that this is not just the onset of some kind of eating disorder. I would hate to get fat.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Keep running and you won't get fat --that's what I do. :) Lovely story and so neatly tied into a little philosophy of life. Those are the best kind.