Friday, December 30, 2005

There's no place like home


The Hotel Fort Garry in Winnipeg has been our home for the past couple of nights. It was a part of our Christams giving to our children this year...some time at a fancy-schmancy hotel, and taking in a matinee performance of the Nutcracker by the Royal Winnipeg ballet. Sounds dreamy.

I wish I could say the whole time was dreamy and all part of a beautiful fairytale. My wife's version of the tale goes like this:
"Our Christmas idea had story book quality to it this year... a night at the Fort Garry and tickets to the Nutcracker ballet. The reality of it bit, somewhat. Through a series of unfortunate events (car battery dying, Joyce getting mad at Brian because Brian was getting mad about situation gone awry, Micah acting like a normal 7 year old boy at a ballet; Jane feeling mildly nauseous at the sight of men in white tights ,etc, etc) I landed up crying into my hotel wine glass, Brian looking at me like he wished I were on something significantly more potent than prozac..... It is over now, we are home again, thank God. I know this will seem funny in a day or two but right now I want everyone to go away so that I can feel sorry for myself in peace."

I'm looking forward to the bit about the laughing.

3 comments:

Cream said...

Looks like a great place and a great way to spend Christmas!
But definitely right! No place like home!
Happy New Year

Kim said...

lol, it's true, the best laid plans... Such is life with children. The hotel is beautiful, did you take those pictures? Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a comment, it's nice to meet you!

Christy said...

At the risk of sounding mean, I am SO RELIEVED!

People make remarks to me constantly about how our kids are getting "old enough to travel better" and I want to laugh. My kids at 9.5 and 5.5 are still tantrum-prone, whiney and behave like..well, children.

We are in a panic over spending a night away at a family reunion next Christmas...I can only pray that the year matures our children. Or that they find a way to put wine into a convenient travel bottle.

Even if you don't, your children will romanticize the whole experience as they grow up. At least ONE of you will get good memories. :)

Happy New Year Brian and family!