Thursday, December 15, 2005

38 and holding

I was just passed in the hallway by my grade two teaching partner who smilingly said while rubbing her hands together, "38 and holding."

I have one more day to be young. When people ask you how old you are when you are 39, there is this questioning "uh huh" in reply... even if you really are 39. So now, today, while I am still 38, I can say my age and have no one question me on whether I am willing to admit the truth of my age.

What does it matter really. Personally, I fully agree with the over-used statement that you are only as old as you feel. I've been feeling younger these past five years than I have ever felt. It has a lot to do with how you take care of yourself. For me it has been regular exercise, challenging myself spiritually and socially, and diving into the life I committed to when I chose to be a husband and father.

I'm excited about this coming year. Like wine...better with age. Where did I put that opener. Hey Alice... may I borrow yours?

4 comments:

andrea said...

Happy birthday, Brian! My motto is "you're only as old as you look" and since I look like I'm on the good side of 40 -- but I'm NOT -- that's all that matters, right? And as long as you continue to humour me when the situation reverses itself, none of us need be the wiser...

Have a good one.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Dear Andrea. Dear sweet faithful Andrea. Where would my comment section be without you? Thanks for the well-wishing. I'll meet you on the other side in one year.

Cream said...

Happy Birthday, Brian!
Andrea let the cat out of the bag!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Thanks cream. I like the addition of the Santa suit to your picture.
And Andrea, thanks for the referral...your quite a peach.