Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Freezer Jam

Looking for the frozen perogies, I came across a very red and very sticky mess making its way across most of the frozen packages. I very helpfully bellowed to whomever might be listening, "What the hell is all this red stuff in the freezer?"(sorry Al, there's that repetition again) To which my wife, just as matter-of-factly, replied, "Freezer jam." I couldn't contain myself. The way she so easily pronounced her explanation of the foreign goo was too much for my sarcastic heart to bear. I couldn't stop laughing. I immediately had visions of this naturally occuring community of strawberry and raspberry toppings, flourishing in my feezer with a language all their own. "We are jam...freezer jam. We live in your freezer." As if this red treat is as natural as tree bark, a ground squirrel, or hoar frost.

Joyce didn't share my sentiment but that was alright by me. Everyone needs their own happy place.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Aha! I always wondered what freezer jam was. An if there was such a thing as fresh strawberries around I might even try it. Where did Joyce get hers? (Or are they "freezer berries"? :)

kyknoord said...

Freezer jam sounds like an outdoor concert for garage bands (in winter, of course).

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea:these were summer strawberries escaping their containers. There are fresh strawberries available, but, as you probably know, they are not like fresh from the backyard in the springtime.
Kyknoord:Great idea. I'll talk to the town council.We'll need to draft a letter to the bands giving them a list of necessary things to bring such as thermal underwear, hotpockets, etc.