Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sitting on the couch and getting drunk

It's a matter of trust.

We send our kids out to play with other people's kids all the time. It is a good thing. One of the reasons we moved to this community was so that we could feel better about the kids and families in our neighbourhood. People send their kids to our home as well, and I feel that we are trusted implicitly.

My son has a friend who's parents receive respite for him because of a minor handicap which includes, among other things, poor muscle tone. His parents will sometimes have him come to our house to play with my son, and my wife will be paid for the the visit because there is funding available for the break that the parents receive.

The mom called last night and asked for Joyce. She wasn't in so I took the call. "I have a Christmas party to go to next week, can Joyce look after my son while he comes over for a play with your son?" "Joyce won't be in I'm afraid. She also has a Christmas party to go to the same evening." "But I'll be here. Why don't I look after him while he plays with my son. I'll just be sitting on the couch getting drunk anyways." She laughed loud and long and continued to make arrangements for the visit. I never did say that I was kidding about the getting drunk part.
She trusted me that I was kidding.

Familiarity goes a long way when it comes to trust. If she didn't know me at all, she would have had serious doubt about sending her son. As it is, she will bring her son next week and probably jokingly ask if I'm well on my way to meeting my consumtion goal.

What about the times when we are not so familiar... sending our offspring out to homes where we have not had the opportunity to judge? We are more cautious but we still do it, even if our communities are not so safe. And what is a safe community anyway? Many good places have been surprised by great wrongdoing.

I suppose there is a bigger trust involved. An understanding that we cannot control the things that we cannot control. It goes much further than the lyrics "Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see, que sera, sera, what will be, will be." It is letting go and hoping in a divine protection at the same time.

I trust that this matters.

6 comments:

andrea said...

And what's wrong with sitting on the couch getting drunk? :) Seriously, you are indeed fortunate to live in such a place (and are you on the Niverville Elementary website?). We're not as fortunate here in the big smoke, though our immediate community is pretty trustworthy and for that I feel pretty thankful. I don't believe in the culture of fear that has been pumped into us through the media for years. It robs us of something fundamental. I know people for whom security issues are practically a hobby. Sad really.

Enjoy tomorrow's lesson. (And listen to your students -- they know what's what!)

Brian the Mennonite said...

I don't actually teach in Niverville. I commute to an even smaller community nearby, called Kleefeld. I'm on their website http://kleefeld.hsd.ca/Introduction/staff.html
I'm the guy in the middle row, to the left of the guy dressed like a honey bee.

andrea said...

Lots of Mennonite names on that staff of course! (I'm assuming you mean on our left, not his left.)

Brian the Mennonite said...

yes, on our left. If you recall the photo of my four children...blond and blue eyed. Just like dad.

andrea said...

Kids aside, I was pretty sure you were you and not the red-shirted guy. The red-shirted guy just doesn't look like you. Is that weird do you think?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Weird?...no. Things that make you go hmmm?...yes. Thank you...I think.