Sunday, December 25, 2005

global thinking, global giving

This year, as part of our giving at Christmas, we decided to give gifts to those in need through the Mennonite Central Committee, and World Vision in honour of the intended gift recipient.

In honour of both sets of parents, we gave 2 hens and a rooster, which can produce a large supply of eggs a year and thrive anywhere.

In honour of our children's three school teachers we purchased hoes for women in Rwanda as part of a farming project. The project is called Women in Dialogue, a group that helps ease hunger and promotes healing by bringing together people from different sides of the Rwandan conflict.

I am probably close to the furthest thing from a politically thinking person, much to my occassional embarrassment, but when I do find the time to become involved, I feel all the more convinced of the power of a unified voice.

Most everyone has seen the television ads for One: The Campaign to Make Poverty History.
Christmastime, seemingly more than other times of the year, is especially a good time for us all as blessed people to think beyond our walls. Let's all look within and find our voices, and remember to speak when the opportunity is there.

Our next opportunity is January 23, 2006. I have no idea whom to vote for. I'm more confused and undecided than I have ever been, but here are some things that you might like to consider when making your decision. Some people tell you to vote locally and think locally, others tell you to vote locally and think nationally. I suggest, perhaps, that we vote first of all and as we do, think about everything, including what is happening globally.

All this to say Merry Christmas everyone.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Thanks for this post, Brian. Some food for thought after the day of plenty that is Christmas. As a brotherhood, I am more impressed by the Mennonite charity organisations than that of any other faith. I always try and shop at Ten Thousand Villages, for example, as the economic and human philosophy behind the programme is so very intelligent.

As for the upcoming election: oi vei! Will this end up being the first time I DON'T vote since I turned 18?

Brian the Mennonite said...

I feel what you feel Anrea. I heard a stat today that 31% of Canadians are undecided. I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher, and if the same percent or more were planning to not vote. I don't think I'll know until the day arrives.

Christy said...

I'm more confused and undecided than I have ever been

I'm with you, Brian. I agree with some platforms others oppose my thoughts, so I feel like I can't find one party whose values match mine relatively closely. It's frustrating.

THANKS for the link to primer.