Saturday, December 17, 2005

My view

This is what I have the privilege of seeing every time I look out of my classoom window. A big open field with a dairy farm in the background. One of my 27 students lives there.

Kleefeld is said to be the land of milk and honey as there is a large number of nearby dairy farms and honey bee keepers. Kleefeld claims fame to being the first Mennonite settlement in Manitoba. Many Mennonite families came from Russia to escape military participation in the 1870s. A small village was carved out of the prairie in 1874.

My work in Kleefeld is nearly finished, however. My term position ends on the last day of February. I am already dreading not being a part of what goes on there. I will miss everything, including the view.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Your last two posts have, as usual, been magic. Your descriptions are so evocative. Thank you for the peek.