Thursday, December 08, 2005

Don't go daddy.

We celebrated my son Sammy's third birthday yesterday. Nothing lavish. In fact, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary at all. We discussed it and came to the conclusion that his life was already full and needed no hoopla to make the day special. There were already a bunch of kids over. The mid day snack was simply made birthdayish by adding candles on the cupcakes.

The plans for dinner were to have Walter over, as we do every Wednesday. He called to cancel. "Waiting for a truck" or something like that. We were planning all of Sammy's favourites. Pickles, mashed potatoes, and chocolate milk. There were a few other grown up things thrown in, but the essentials were covered. We were all itching to dive into the feast. Crunchy pickles and smooth mashed earth apples. Smacking and crunching noises came from around the table. Delightful.

Some time for play and then it's off to bed. "Me have to go pee daddy." "O.K. Sammy lets go." I set him down on the throne and take a step towards the door. "Don't go daddy." "O.K. Sammy. Daddy will stay right here." He finishes in no seconds flat and I help him off. Pull up the gitch and away he goes, off to bed. A hug and a kiss is always in order. I pray with him every night. I try to pray the most sincere and heartfelt prayer I can muster. I feel that if we would only be honest with God, more would be communicated...both ways.

Before I take any steps toward the door, I turn off the lamp and I say I love you. Even though I walk through his door, I want my son to know that daddy will always be right here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting at the computer, acorn mug in hand. Tears and grins. Why NOT see life as a story book?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Joyce: Welcome to the comment section babe. I've always wanted to write a story book. Is there any other way of looking at life.

andrea said...

Stop it! You made me really miss those days, especially now that my 13 year old is 5'10" (but taller when he gels his hair) and in full-blown teenage mode. His 11 year old brother still sits on my lap, though, with his bony sitbones. :)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: I hear ya. There are memories which I'm already sentimental about, and they're still so young. I'm glad I'm writing some of these down to keep them fresh and recallable.