Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Fragrance of Christmas

I'm excited to be going to the Royal Winnipeg Ballet The Nutcracker this Christmas. The last time I went, Joyce and I were dating and not far along in our relationship. I remember sitting on the main floor about halfway back near the left side. The lights were turned down. There were a couple of young college girls sitting together next to me on my right side. The one next to me was wearing this divine fragrance, she smelled like a date, so I asked her what fragrance she was wearing. Giorgio. I had to have it for Joyce. I included it in the giving that year.

When we go this year, I want her to wear the same fragrance. Whenever we go anywhere I want her to wear it. It is cheap therapy for the soul. A smell can do wonders to create a desired mood, bring back a memory, and cast a spell of enchantment. I want our time together to be enchanted, like the last couple of years of our marriage. We have been through some tough times. Our communication and attitudes are much further along than they ever have been. Honestly, I think it's because I'm the one doing the changing. I'm the one that needed to do most of the changing. Validation, respect, and simply pitching in have been the keys for me.

There is not much I wouldn't do to gain some of those years back where I was an unenchanted ass. But enough about regret. Onward I willingly cast myself into the spell I now savour.

1 comment:

andrea said...

I'm glad you're evolving. I think I've been devolving myself lately (maybe it's just December stress...).

As a child my mother and grandmother would take me to the Nutcracker most years. It is the one "girl thing" I remember doing with either of them so I treasure the memory.

PS Love your Cockburn quote and Stephen Fearing's sister Jane taught me how to skip rope. That was just before they moved to Ireland.