Saturday, December 17, 2005

This is the way I remember it

Joyce and I drove in near silence for the entire 25 minutes. Nearly missed our turn off of highway 12 because of drifting snow. We weren't sure where the curling club was..simply going on brief directions given during lunch hour. "Turn when you come to the clinic."

We circled the seven car parking lot twice before we decided to park in the emplyees only spot. "There is no towing sign, so I guess we'll be alright, won't we? They have to have it posted don't they?"

Once inside we were met almost immediately by Alice. She had been looking forward to meeting Joyce for some time. "I want to rub her head." She sent us upstairs where things were being set up for the evening. Tables everywhere, half set, being set. "Can we help with anything?"

I think we needed a drink so I belly up to the bar and order a gin and tonic for Joyce and a Kokanee for myself. No lemon wedges for the gin and a mistakenly opened Labbatt Lite. No matter... I didn't notice anyway until someone pointed it out later. Alice was watching to see what I was drinking so that she could get me a birthday drink after my first one was dry. "The labels are quite similar," I excused.

Some of the unfamiliar boys were down on the sheets trying their hands at chucking rocks. Something about being in a quiet place watching people participate makes me want to yell, "Hurry...Hard!" I held it in. I didn't want to start entertaining yet. Wait 'till they play YMCA. Joyce and I sat down and started to feel the evening begin.

Gradually people arrived with their smiles. These are a happy bunch...warm and friendly and familiar. Coats off...say hello..."this is Joyce"...find a drink...more smiles. I'm proud to be sitting beside my beauty. Finally they get to see who I am through her. The music teacher says, "I like her"...sharing stories and laughs, unexpected and welcomed tears. "I'm really emotional" she says. "Oh I'm not" Joyce sarcasticly replies. "I never cry." My mind is immediately filled with memories...real situations of loss, hurt, pain, and love.

The food started at 7:06. Good thing. A few of us had already been talking about our hunger. It pays to sit with the one who says the grace...this table gets to go first...let's go. Everything was homemade catered goodness. Before long everyone was satisfied...oh, there's dessert...O.K., I've a little room left.

It wouldn't be a staff Christmas party without a few reindeer games. No one was left out. "We need four volunteers." There was no option. We all had our hands in the fun. Shreaded paper everywhere, wrapped and unwrapped gifts, and something about an orange between all the male staff. "Hey, I think I should get an extra candy cane for the leg raise." Joyce later said she wanted to yell out, "I want to see that guy naked." She held it in. Wait till they play YMCA.

After a few hours and an equal number of drinks, I begin to yawn uncontrollably. I so desperately want to be fully engaged in the conversations I was presented with. I feel guilty as I listen and yawn and wonder if they regret starting in with me. I'll appologize on Monday.

Time to start the car. It's so cold out. Thank God for command start. "Yeah I have command start. She commands, and I start." Someone always repeats that one. I smile at how funny people are...how lovely life is...how I want to be in my warm bed.

"Did you have fun honey?...thats good...I'm glad you came." Another 25 minutes of near silence...comfortable silence...familiar. Directions to get back home are not necessary. We know the way. Turn when you come to the familiar.

I like knowing what I know.

No comments: