Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Joyce coloured glasses

Joyce gave me permission to copy and paste an email she sent to a good old friend of hers. I love the way she uses words. I think it's quite sexy...even though she is not talking sexy talk at all. Here goes:


"I am not type A enough to send off Christmas cards, much less a newsletter, but I loved reading yours. Here's our lives in a nutshell. Living in Niverville, in an oldish house (nothing like our ancient Brandon one, but still, we love it and its home). We love our community, have met such lovely, funny, authentic people here. Brian is teaching grade 2 in Kleefeld, a small farming town about 20 minutes from here. I am running an at home daycare. Wildly fun. Except maybe this week when one of my little people thought it was " bring your pet day" and introduced us to the colony of head lice living on herself. but thats another story, which I will also forward to you.
The kids are attending the local school which is 2.5 blocks from our house. They are in an awesome school. Arianna is completing her time there, and is off to Junior high next year. (yes, really). She is the sporty variety, plays soccer and football with the guys, enjoys baseball, skating, takes jazz dance, has her mother's good looks and total befuddlement with mathematics, and has her dad's long legs and coordination.
Jane is in grade 4. She has the most endearing laugh and has a great big heart of gold. She sings like an angel, takes musical theatre and tap dance. Jane cries and gets angry just as easily as she laughs. She can draw beautifully, and loves to make people cards and gifts. We have been given the huge blessing of a community skating rink in the empty lot right behind our yard, so both girls have been strapping on the skates a lot lately. What they lack in form they make up for in enthusiasm.
Micah is a funny, red haired boy with a deft sense of humour. Grade two has been good to him. On Fridays he comes home, spelling paper in hand: "More bad news mom" ;and hands me the results of his weeks spelling. Another 10/10. This guy is a perfectionist, which helps to explain why he was the world's most ridiculous toddler. He does "big brother" really well. Sometimes the boys have "sleepovers" on the floor of their bedroom and Micah will read Sammy stories. Micah loves computer and Nintendo games more than real things like skates with blades or "Boo at the zoo".
Sammy is the apple of all our eyes. A beautiful blonde, happy boy. If the world were chocolate milk and mashed potatoes, he would rule supreme. Sam just celebrated his third birthday, and you can read all about it in the next e-mail that I will forward to you.
Isn't life fun?"

I think she's hot.

6 comments:

andrea said...

Another heart-warming one, Brian. She has a way with words, doesn't she? It was with relief that I read that I'm not Type A -- I gave up the Christams card pretense years ago .... but still love to get them.

Lucy Kruze said...

I love your blog..I happened on it by accident while surfing Blogger...I love the way you write and also think it is a wonderfully "feel good read"...such a sweet life hope you don't mind a country girl from the upper midwest eaves-dropping once in a while...its nice to read something that leaves you with happy thoughts....

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brian, Thanks Joyce for your great writing. I have read this one a few times and it makes me smile. Even though I know your kids, it's wonderful to read about them through their mother's eyes. Lucky you, lucky them, lucky me.

Love you always,

Carol :)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: Thanks for that. You made Joyce smile. She loves getting comments too...so much that she started her own blog.

lucy: Wow...very kind words. Thank you. Yes country girls are welcome to drop in anytime. I used to date a girl from the upper midwest.

Carol: You are always welcome. Joyce and I are excited about our new mode of communication via our blogs. It frees up some of the time we used to waste talking to each other.

andrea said...

You can't drop hints like that and then not leave a link on your sidebar, Brian! Come on now, where's Joyce's blog? (And before I forget, have a wonderful Christmas.)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: I asked Joyce yesterday for her permission to add it to my links list. She didn't want me to add it right away...she wanted more experience with this whole blog thing. I just asked her again and she relented. The link is now there. She's nervous. I know you'll be kind.