Wednesday, September 27, 2006

don't be surprised

The things that matter in this life are the things that will be mentioned at your funeral.

A number of years ago I watched a movie many of you also watched. As Good as it Gets has, as one of it's main characters, a man played by Jack Nicholson, not to be confused with Jack Nicholas (the Bear), the golfer. Really, the only thing I remember from the movie, aside from Jack being a real ass when it came to getting his favourite table in a restaurant, was a single line spoken. "You make me want to be a better man".

I've sincerely thought, and have spoken those words regarding my wife many times. My track record of sticking with these renewed feelings is probably much like any other male out there. I have nothing to boast about. What I am grateful for is frequent times of renewal.

Yesterday morning I watched another movie. Or rather, I watched as 500 people gathered to become part of a moving picture of a young man's life. Each actor had a vital role. Some got speaking parts. The people who played the rocks or the trees spoke as clearly as all the others.
The feeling I retained after the life show was nearly the same as Jack's sentiment. After watching Ken's story, I wanted to be a better man.

In the next little while, don't be surprised if:

I do the ordinary in extraordinary ways, do the extraordinary in ordinary ways.
I not busy myself caring for my children to such a frenzy that I do so without CARE.
I go about my employment as the means to living my life with fullness of giving and not to fuel the desire to GET.
I use something outside of myself to keep kicking at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.




KEN KEHLER - father, husband, brother, son and friend, died September 20, 2006. He was 43 years old.

Where while that severed doth remain,

This grave partakes the fleshly birth,

Which cover lightly,

gentle earth.

In lieu of flowers, any donations to cancer research, CancerCare Manitoba or to anybody who is trying their best to help others, would be greatly appreciated.

L'chayim (to life)

6 comments:

andrea said...

You hit on something not often discussed, Brian: the importance of positive role models. It seems to me that if I don't have any -- then I should be one. Thanks for the reminder.

RIP Ken

LDahl said...

L'chayim...it goes by so fast, be sure and make the most of it where it counts the most.

Carlotti said...

Beautiful, Brian. Here's to life lived well.

Cherrypie said...

You and Joyce are already do all of that from where I'm sitting. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said here or to your extraordinary wonderfully ordinary wife.

To Ken x

Christine said...

I wish you and Joyce peace through this hard time. Such a young man. Thanks for this post, it reminded me how precious life is and how I should spend as much time with my family as I can. I want to be a better person too.

Take Care

Romeo Morningwood said...

Beautiful, thoughtful synopsis.
These sporadic reminders of how fragile our little lives really are usually get filed into our psyches because we don't 'DO' reality very well.
You are spot on mate.

I'll say it again,
People don't care about how much you know, they want to know how much you care.