Sunday, September 03, 2006

wealth managment

Down on Grandpa's farm...*

...there is a cute - little - boy
the boy - he makes a face like this (smirk, smirk)

...there is a huge - apple - tree

the tree - is ready to be picked (yum, yum)

...there is a pretty - young - girl

the girl - she likes to laugh out loud (ha, ha)

...there is a quick - humming - bird

the bird - it makes a sound like this (hum, hum)

...there is a red - haired - Jen

the Jen - she loves to run and play (yee, ha)

...there is a his - to - ry

the past - is captured one by one (snap, snap)

We're on our way, we're on our way,

On our way to Grandpa's farm.

We 're on our way, we're on our way

On our way to Grandpa's farm.

*apologies to those that don't know the song. The flow of this post will not make a lick of sense to you.
_______________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________

And then returning home...

...but before turning in, and instead of unloading the cargo space of the van, I decide to have some quiet time at one of my favourite rest-stops.


The next morning, unloading the van proved to be an excellent work-out substitute for an eight mile run. At almost 40 years of age, my mother still likes to pile it on. I kept asking her as we loaded this all into the van, "Are you sure you want to give all this away?...and doesn't anyone else wants some of this?" She simply said that this is why they have such a big garden. (It's about the size of Prince Edward Island).

Better than Christmas.

After all the unloading, I settled in to my regular, as of the last month, breakfast.

It's all part of the plan.

15 comments:

andrea said...

Pure delight.

Christine said...

I know I've said it before but my goodness your children are sweet. Up until a few years ago my mom's garden supplied a restaurant, all of her neighbors and us kids. It breaks my heart to walk by it now, all empty.

Strange, I posted a pic of my desk tonight.

kyknoord said...

One of my favourite rest-stops, too :-)
You are a rare and inspirational individual indeed, Brian. Few men know wealth when they see it.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: Too true, too true.

Christine: They sure are, and I think they secretly like it when I show them aff on my blog, although they pretent to be bothered.

Kyknoord: Inspirational, Individual, Indeed...the "I"s have it. Thanks man. I would be quick to think that you would also stand out in a crowd (and not for being hideous) :)

Anonymous said...

I always thought you were the spoiled one, now I have proof! (smirk)

Cherrypie said...

Truly scrumptious, Brian and I'm not just talking about the children. x

Romeo Morningwood said...

Gosh those kids are cute.
I love getting boxes of canned goods from both Grannys. Especially when I don't have to pick 'em! It certainly does mark the end of summer...WooHoo!

Good riddance to that shaharan 85 degree BS that I had to paint in this year...did I mention my multiple wasp stings!

PS,
Where are the all the jars of 'shine'?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Janice: Beißen Sie mich! I only took that stuff because Mom said that everyone else had either had their turn, or said no thanks. So, really, YOU got served before ME. Who's spoiled now?

Cherrypie: I hope you're talking about ME and not the produce! I would like to be considered scrumptious. :)

H.E.: No kidding about the heat. Give me 18 degrees and an overcast sky anyday. And those bloody wasps...I was building a wheelchair ramp for a family member, and, when I went to pick up my drill, Zzzzzzzap! You'd think that Karma would shield you during a good deed, but NNNoooo!
Alice told me you've been having quite the time being the receiving end of insect target practise. That's not funny AT ALL. I hate those little buggers. Winter, bring it on so that they can all DIE!

Anonymous said...

translation of the german please

Brian the Mennonite said...

Sorry Janice...it says "Bite me!", but in a nice way. :)

merlinprincesse said...

I don't know the song, but I can imagine. Very poetic post! And the pics of FOOD! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *drooling again on my keyboard* :)

LDahl said...

You know, I never knew that when I lost my marbles they were going to end up at your house.....heheh!
Nah, I still have most of them... some of them anyway:)))

I miss the canning, nothing better than homecanned green beans. Somehow I don't miss the actual canning process. It's all that peeling and snapping and scalding hot stuff. Maybe next year.
Lucky you!!! There you have all that lovely stuff, call your mom right now and thank her again!!!
Thanks for the photos that bring back a set of memories for me.

Brian the Mennonite said...

mp: Thanks. It sure was a treat to bring all of that food home. We've turned all those tomatos, and boxes more, into salsa. The house smells wonderful.

ldahl: the marbles are used for practicing proper speech...have you seen My Fair Lady? You can have them back if you need them. :)
It's good to hear from you again. :)

LDahl said...

Whot!??? Proper speech and all? Nah!! I thinks you should keeps yer marbles.

The rain falls mainly on the plains..wait this is the plains! Oh, wait, there was something about Spain. Drat, can't remember what...maybe I do need a few of those marbles back:)))

Linda said...

I will miss the tomato sandwiches. I have about 6 ripening tomatoes left on my counter. Sigh.