Sunday, September 28, 2008

polenta

We just got our last portion of the year from our share in a local garden Co-op. It's been quite a challenge some of the weeks to come up with dishes to make that the entire family will not turn their noses up at. Like, really...what are you supposed to do with an enviro bag full of kale?

Today, while everyone was at church, I was sitting at the dining room table looking through some of my Moosewood cookbooks and came across something I'd seen before, this recipe for a polenta dome. I've never made polenta, but always was intrigued by the thought of it.
It turned out great and everything was so fresh that, I'm thinking, this would only be this great at this time of year.

Polenta is to the Italians as what potatoes are to the North Americans and the Irish, and what rice is to the Orient. The most basic recipe of polenta is boiled cornmeal with a little salt. This polenta dome has caramelized onions and garlic, shredded summer squash, and grated cheddar and parmigiano-reggiano cheeses. It is served with marinated roasted vegetables. Almost any vegetables will do...the more colour, the better the photo opp.

7 comments:

nn said...

"Polenta is to Italians from the North of the country what...". Southerners never have it.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Yeah but did they ever have a Polenta Famine?

Brian the Mennonite said...

may,
Do I detect a turned up nose?

donn,
Yeah...that's right!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian.

Of course not! It is just my usual harsh tone.

LDahl said...

It looks yummy Brian! You do something that is hard for most people to do, and that is take photos of food that look good enough to eat.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Truly enjoy your posts & the photography. But... every time I read this title, I read "Placenta" first, then have to correct myself - "oh yes, it's 'Polenta'". So, please change the title by writing a new post. Just for me. Thanks.
.e.

Cherrypie said...

Yum. Please will you share the recipe? x