Monday, May 08, 2006

I closed my eyes...

...drew back the curtain

To see for certain, what I thought I knew.

Far, far away, someone was weeping,

But the world was sleeping.

Any dream will do.

When I was a child, we did not have a television for much of the time. All of my friends had at least one in their home. I always wished that my parents would just give in to all the pressure we were putting on them, but they never did - until...

One day, when I was a little older, perhaps 11 or 12, my brother Randy was going to an auction sale. I had saved up some money and wanted to go with him to see if my $30.00 would get me anything. He willingly took me. We arrived early to have a look around before the bidding began.

I remember walking past it first off all, and not giving it a second thought, when it struck me...my $30.00 just might get me this. It was a 12 inch black and white portable T.V., brand new in the box. I couldn't think of anything else from there on. I had to have it...but what if the bidding goes higher than what I had? Let's just hope it doesn't.

After what seemed all night, my item came up. The air in that room was thick with dust from shuffling feet on the dirty concrete floor. I was sick with tension. I felt like a tightly wound wind up toy ready to release. The bidding began. I raised my number a number of times and nodded like I'd seen some of the old guys do, not smiling now...this is not a friendly game. Bloody serious. We were at 22, then 24, then 28. I shot a panic glance at Randy and he knew my thoughts. Somehow we came to the agreement that he would lend me the money if I needed to go higher. And higher it went...all the way to $50. But it was mine...all mine, new in the box with the twisty thing still holding the power cord newly coiled from the factory.

The memory of bringing it home and into the house is a little vague, but what I do remember is that we didn't plug it in that day because dad said it was cold and it would have to warm up over night. Electronics are fussy that way.

I'm also not certain how we came to this conclusion but my parents didn't think that it would be right for me to have my own T.V. when it was the only one in the house. So they bought it from me. Well actually they gave me my $30 back and gave Randy his 20. And seeing as it was sort of MY T.V., I got to have it in my room. Or rather in our room, as I shared a room with Garry and Randy.

The television soon became an instrument to draw the family together. I remember well our family all crowding into my bedroom to watch one of our favourite T.V programs...The Donny and Marie Show. I don't know if anyone in the family knew it, but I loved that show. I loved it so much that I would cry silently whenever it was over. The smiling pair would sing their closing song and I would be a blubbering mess. Most kids I knew wanted to run away and join the circus, but I wanted to join the Donny and Marie show. I always wondered if they were Christians, which was something we would ask of all television stars. Finding this out would be our justification for watching any program. They had to be...how could you look so happy and not be a believer?!

Now that I am older and much more seasoned, I found myself still crying with the Osmonds. Or at least with one of them. Every time I watch Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dreamcoat with Donny Osmond, I cry during the song Any Dream Will Do. I really don't know what it is, but it's a very real feeling of longing.

I feel that this is somewhat of a coming out of the closet moment for me. Most people wouldn't want to admit they liked the show. I guess I should also tell you I loved The Lawrence Welk Show, The Carol Burnett Show, Sonny and Cher, and the Irish Rovers. It must have been all that happy happy love joy stuff that drew me in.

What do you see when you close your eyes?

(the above photo was taken today at Arianna's soccer game, eyes closed, with camera pointed at random...lucky shot...and no cropping either)


14 comments:

kyknoord said...

I think you'll find the Osmonds made a lot of people cry.

joyce said...

How can you not love this GUY? He makes me cry, from laughing, then just because he's so impossibly passionate.

andrea said...

Ah -- the seventies. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Brian. When they cancelled The Partridge family I was destitute :). It wasn't a David Cassidy thing -- the only hunky male I had a crush on in those days was Secretariat -- but I sure was in awe of those shows that featured Happy Families Who Loved Each Other.

Anonymous said...

Why don't I remember this, I would have been 6 or 7?
My fondest TV memories as a kid was watching Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday evenings, don't forget the ketchup chips. You probably had better things to do by then to share in those good times.

Romeo Morningwood said...

It was not a puppy love growing up under the shadow of Donny Osmond. I cannot count the number of times bullys taunted me with Look it's
D O N N Y O S M O N D..especially whenever I wore my groovy jumpsuit and scarf and wore my hair exactly like him..whatever!

Donny and I were the same age and shared similar features... except of course for his mouthful of gargantuan mule-like teeth!

Anyway, I finally made my peace with Donny when I discovered that Mormons are destined to repopulate their own planets and I wouldn't have to put up with him in the afterlife.
That and I shortened my name to Donn.
So now we're cool.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Kyknoord: Many of my friends locally have mentioned to me that this struck a familiar cord with them. Perhaps it's the air in Manitoba that has us sympathetic to the Mormon plight.

Joyce: Aww shucks...you made me blush.

Andrea: Good memories. When I think of really good TV programs, I always have something from that era to mention. Love boat, like my sister Janice mention, was another favourite.

Janice: My recollection could be a little off, but yes, it did happen almost that way. And with LOVE BOAT it was never ketchup chips for me...I always saved my allowance for a big bag of nachos. Mmmmmm, the good old days.

Homo escapeons: Donny Osmond and Mr. Ed...that's a nice comparison image.
Did you have a hot sister like Donny's? Now that I've had a little more time to think of it, I think the reason I wanted to join their show was because of my pubescent crush (I wanted to see her naked) on Marie.

TheTart said...

Sonny & Cher, oh my whole family could not wait to see what Cher would wear!!!
Friday nights were the best in Texas for TV. ; )

BTW, my mom is back to watching Laurence Welk, sorry but YUCK. It still freaks me out.
Donny, hmm ~ nope David Cassidy was the hottie in my life. ; )

Smooch 4 the memories,
The Tart
; )

BTW, what is Jane so upset about in Flickr? ; (

Brian the Mennonite said...

Christine: Thanks...I feel old.

Jocelyn: Have I told you lately that I love you?
Thanks for all the rapid fire comments...I feel like a flippin rock star. Yeehaaa

Brian the Mennonite said...

I forgive you Christine. It's just that I'm turning 40 in December...feeling a little touchy, I guess.

valerie walsh said...

I love this post more than I can say!!! So sweet, I cry whe people sing sweet songs it touches that deeper part of the heart and I think that's swell! My husband John was a young agent at William Morris and brought Sonny and Cher to the agency and convinced them that they would be the next big thing. They were signed on and he was right!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Val: You've definately cornered the market on being in close proximity to the stars, haven't you. The tales you've told and the stories you've yet to tell of all the famous people you will meet. You must be living in California. :)

carla said...

What a really touching story! I can see you so clearly at that auction just hoping with all your might that you'd get the TV...and then having it become a symbol for something much larger. Your story made me think again (because I think this often) how happy I am that I was a youngster when I was. I remember saving my money from dogwalking and babysitting and so on to buy my own "real" stereo which was really just some all in one thing with detachable speakers. I felt so proud and so grown up! It was something I bought for myself, and it was a treasure. I find that so many children are just given all these things and take it for granted. I wonder what it will take to thrill them.

TheTart said...

Rock Star, rock star ... what's all this talk bout ROCK STAR? *wink*

Here's the 411 (information) bout RS. I am hear'in this everywhere of late.
Example, friend explains he has had RS parking spots. Sheesh, I feel so uncool since the phrase seems to B so "new" to moi. ; )
So, to ramp up to extra coolness ~ Brian of the Mennonite, U must B a Rock Star! Since it just seems to B in my karma these days ... Mmm.
That would make UR wife & little Tarts, Rock Star-ettes!

Big RS smooch,
The Tart

BTW, all this vintage stuff make me want false eyelashes ... gotta go!

Psssssst. 4give my yak, too much sinus meds, ah--chooooo!

Anonymous said...

Nicely written! It brings to mind a similar experience I had in purchasing a portable "stereo" from the local Western Auto store when I was a kid. I had been collecting a few records but had to take them to a friends house to play them. Just HAD to have that stereo! It had the fold out detachable speakers with 10 ft. wires so you could get real stereo channel separation, or so the brochure said. The guy at the store knew me and knew my folks, so he let me take it with $5 down and $1 a week until it was paid off.

Daddy didn't believe in credit, so he scolded me, went and paid it off, and made me pay him. To this day I abhor credit!