Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bigger than a lake

Today I gave my grade 7 and 8 history students a chapter review test. We had studied the time period ranging from The Middle Ages through The Renaissance, The Reformation, Colonialism and ended with the Industrial Revolution. Much of our study included map work, as one really cannot grasp relative location without it.

As a middle years teacher, I spend much of my time repeating myself. I've taken to making checklists with topic headings and marking each time I mention a topic, just to make sure that I have mentioned everything at least five times.

As I was preparing the test, I thought to put a significant emphasis on mapwork, as it had been so important during the study time. I also remembered to let the students know each day the week before the test that there would be a significant map section on the test, including five times yesterday, the day before the test. The map section would include locating and naming all the continents, several countries covered in the time period, and any body of water larger than a lake within the area of study...bodies of water that end with sea, canal, channel, seaway, ocean, etc.

I wasn't surprised at all today when some of the students, after looking at the first section of the test, the map section, said, "You didn't tell us there would be map questions." I simply smiled and showed them my checklist.

As I sit here and correct the map section, I'm looking at some of these bodies of water and recalling some of the ones I've been to, and wonder if and when I will see some of the others. I think it's time for a holiday.

How many bodies of water larger than a lake have you been to?

8 comments:

Cherrypie said...

Not enough, that's for sure.

gP said...

i like your writings. Very honest and clear. nice blog.

Its larger me guess.

Romeo Morningwood said...

I am planning on travelling to the Sea of Tranquility to remove the American flag.

I need to ease my pontoons back into the Caribbean and I'd also like to cross the Atlantic again.

I've surveyed the horizon for Great White Sharks in the Pacific, mucho frio ay carumba!

sigh...now I need a holiday too.

valerie walsh said...

Hi Bri! Read all of your wonderful posts and i love your writing!!! Wish you could have been my teach!

Christy said...

One..when I was 8. I'm so overdue.

Cream said...

The Med is my favourite body of water ... as long as I have a glass of wine in my hand!

Carlotti said...

How about the Hudson's Bay? Just a few miles from where I sit.... It's quite spectacular to see this little group of islands appear when flying in. It's cool and windy here today but no snow or rain yet. As usual it's been a great week.

Unknown said...

I've seen quite a few and have more than my share still to go. I love being next to water. There's just something soothing about the sound and feel.

Now you've made me wish I was at the sea.