Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Production and Transfer

I did not expect to see this. When I first noticed them, they were still far off in the partially cloudy distance. It took me only a moment to process what they might be. Immediately I recalled the last time I passed by here and wondered at what that Euro style crane was doing standing awkwardly in a Manitoba farmer's field. They couldn't be putting in skyscrapers here could they? Are there that many retiring farmers who need senior's housing?

There were at least fifty spinning steadily in the persistent South Westerly. Fifty giant exclamation marks rising from the warm soil. A farmer in the distance was sowing his crops. I wondered if he protested their presence. I felt as though I was a part of something progressive. Their presence was made beautiful through their purpose. They have a special purpose, just like Steve Martin did when he played The Jerk.

The power to create. To produce something out of nothing. Wind power. Invisible power. Spirit power. You can't see it, but you know it's real because you can see what it does.

Once the power is produced, it needs to be transfered. There is beauty in the mode of transfer, just as there is beauty in the production. The older vessels also stand awkwardly but familiarly on the landscape. They bring comfort to those around of the Spirit's presence, although some would rather that they be put underground to deny it's existence while still enjoying it's benefits.

4 comments:

andrea said...

I remember the first time I saw a wind farm I had no idea what it was, but it looked strangely beautiful. I thought I was in a sci-fi movie.

Caroline said...

I like your windfarm image - they are amazing aren't they - but I'm with the people who want to hide the transmission lines - any extra insulation is good so far as I'm concerned - I've been (at various times in my life) far too sensitive to electric fields...

Isn't it funny that farmers are farming electric fields now?

Cherrypie said...

I love wind turbines but they are very controversial around here, mainly 'cos they are taking licences out on over 150 sites in the area.

I bet the farmer ws rubbing his hands together. I read somewhere that they get £10,000 a year for each turbine. You do the maths!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Very sneaky metaphor...you zapped me with a little charge there.

I love wind turbines they are tres cool!
Sleek, futuristic and way DAM better than flooding 4oo square miles of forest just to fire up our Bl*gging computers.

You're on a real Power Trip with all that Spirit power stuff aren't 'cha?