Thursday, March 02, 2006

achtung baby!

Six years ago I was near the end of four and a half years of substitute teaching, and all the while being a part-time steakhouse manager. There was a certain air about the way that I thought of who I was and where I was going.

I'm now back in the substitute teaching saddle and the callouses from six years ago haven't disappeared completely. It's funny that you don't notice you have callouses until you need them. It's like taking a break from playing guitar. If you return after a short while, there is still a remnant of hardened skin. Return after a few months, and you become quite sore after a few minutes of sliding back and forth along the fingerboard.

There have been no sores for me these past couple of days, however, as the callouses still seem to be there, along with my bag full of well practised substitute teacher classroom management skills...otherwise known as a big fat bag of assorted candy and chocolate. Bribery is the only thing that works on kids between the ages of 11 and 14.

On Wednesday, I taught German and Social Studies...yesterday, juniour high band and elementary school music. This is my first day free from a supply teaching appointment. It's actually a self appointed day off, as this afternoon I leave for Minneapolis with my brother-in-law to pick up the latest addition to his collectable automobiles. It was his first ebay purchase. I helped him set up an account the other day so that he could bid. So, naturally, seeing as I had "nothing" to do, I offered to join him on the road trip.

I'll spend the morning at home with my Joyce, and Sammy, the only remaining preschool child. I'll have some more coffee from the freshly ground Starbucks beans given to me as a parting gift. I still need to pack an overnight bag as Mel and I will spend the night in Minneapolis...somewhere. I'll pack the CDs I'm listening to right now and my latest Chapter's purchase.

As we travel today, I'll probably search my coat pockets for something distracting, and I know that I'll find a few remnants of those bribery chocolates. A small sachel of Hershy's kisses and hugs given as a parting gift to me from one of my students.

Today I know where I am going and I know who I am...and I am happy.

My loyalties, too, can be manipulated with something sweet.

1 comment:

valerie walsh said...

traveling always supplys me with perspective on where I am headed! And I get to see with rose coloured glasses a new place, new sights, the way other people live. Hope where you are going is a beautiful trip!