Monday, March 27, 2006

for The Byrds

With the coming of Spring comes the urge to rush into planting season. Actually there are many other things calling to me, or pulling me in wide directions.

Today was the first day of Spring Break for this school division, and I had every intention of conquering the day. I had planned to silently leap out of bed well before anyone else stirred and begin the day purposefully moving through the kitchen making a double batch of my famous gooey cinnamon buns. The only noise to be heard would be the temporary violent gringing of coffee beans. Well...that didn't happen. I think I was the last one out of bed.

I had also planned on getting the back porch completely prepared to receive paint. I did manage to get to the hardware store and buy the paint from the mis-tint section. We weren't picky about the colour, as long as it was somewhere near where we were pointing on the colour wheel...and the prices couldn't be beat.

While at the local male gathering shed (hardware), I remembered that there was a number of electrical changes that needed to be made, seeing as the male owner of the house before us bought all of his parts used or dented. I thought I could probably fit the changes in today as well. I noticed that the 10kg bag of bird seed was on sale, so I got one...thinking that it would be nice to finally fill those three cedar bird feeders I bought an an auction last fall. I paid the friendly lady at the desk, and returned home with a smile.

By this time, Joyce had made lunch for the family. We sat down together. There's nothing like soup and sandwiches on a rainy day. With my resolve renewed, I sat on the couch to take a break. There's no need to rush into these things.

After talking with Joyce on the couch for a while, I started to think about taking the pressure off of my darling wife to plan dinner. I asked her to join me in the basement to look for some meat in the freezer. She thought that it was code for something else and said she couldn't...she had daycare kids to look after. I found some baby back pork ribs and decided that this was going to be dinner. I boiled them for an hour and set them in the fridge to wait for the outdoor grill when everything else was prepared.

During the afternoon I managed to head over to a friend's house who was beginning the installation of a hardwood floor. I had to go and see his technique and feel his new tool...I mean his nail gun. Whenever someone gets a new tool, it's the community's right to get together and grunt and nod our collective approval.

Dinner was grand. The family is fed and the house is quiet. Joyce and the girls are out at the local thrift store gathering together all of the treasures of long ago. Re-purposing is a word heard a lot around here. Those treasures were good in their time, but are even better now in ours.

So, upon evaluation of the day, the closest I got to accomplishing any of my goals was to begin them. The electrical items are still in the bag and the paint hasn't left the tin. I did, however, managed to yell at a couple of my kids, and then apologize for being impatient yet again...just to round out the feeling of accomplishment.

Tomorrow is another chance. The weather is supposed to be even more Spring-like than today. The call to plant will be heard all the more, but I've already taken care of that today as I purchased pepper seeds, and have started the plants indoors just as suggested, six weeks before last frost.

There is a time for everything, and everything will get done in it's time (turn, turn, turn).

15 comments:

joyce said...

Yeah, baby. Hopefully tomorrow our blood will pump through our veins with some regularity. We're like balloons- without pressure, we're pretty little.
oixnow

kyknoord said...

So much for spring turning a young man's thoughts to love.

andrea said...

I wonder if the Byrds ever made a bad album cover...?

Spring is here, too, but it looks different on the coast. I know -- I saw what it was like in a drier climate last week ... i.e. NO MOSS! We rented a power washer for 4 hours last week ($50!!) and still didn't get the last of 7 years of build up (blush).

Cherrypie said...

Hey! We're doing Spring here too. I just got given my first set of repurposed hanging baskets today. I'm now planning great things for them come the summer months, pouring over this month's copy of Gardener's World. I just haven't got round to buying the compost yet.

Christy said...

Colin was off recouping from surgery a few weeks ago and it rubbed off on me. The days the kids were in school, I turned into a sloth, and he told me exactly what I needed to hear "You've earned it". So we sat around and talked like we did before we had children and it was very nice.

I asked her to join me in the basement to look for some meat in the freezer. She thought that it was code for something else and said she couldn't...

If reading *that* doesn't please those pissy daycare parents, Joyce, nothing will. ;)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Joyce: It's now a day later...how's that for blood pumping? Not a bad renovation for $9.00, huh?
Kyknoord: I tried to come up with something witty to reply with, but my thoughts all turned to evil suggestions. I plead the fifth, although we don't have that in the Canadian bill of rights.
Andrea: Yeh, I don't know either...but your link in your latest post sure is interesting. I thought the same as what most people did about John and Yoko, but when Carla said what she did, I saw their nudity in a different light. I find that I'm often like that. I'm easily swayed by people's opinions and views...which may not be all that bad.
Cherrypie: Isn't it fun?! Today I started another couple of large seed trys of orange bell peppers and beafsteak tomatos. The air in the house smells of earth. I should keep this stage fresh in my memory, as when it comes to weeding the plants later in the garden, it becomes quite a chore.
Christine: Thinking about the Spring is one of the only things that helps some people make it through Jan. and Feb. on the prairies.
Christy: It isn't all that often when we get to just sit and talk like adults, but when we do, I always think that this should be more of a priority. But then real life seems to help us forget, doesn't it?

carla said...

Hi Brian - First of all, thank you for bring the 100th comment-leaver! I wish I had some kind of door prize to offer you; you know, a coupon for a free dinner at your favorite local restaurant or an engraved keychain, but all I have is my thanks for your kind comments.
I'm laughing at your post, because it is so teacher-like to have huge plans to get things accomplished when on break, and it is just as teacher-like be unable to get out of bed. There are just too many early mornings and late nights grading when school is in session. Anyway, it sounds like you had a delightful day! They have put out the pansies at the local nursery that I pass every day on the way to and from school. I keep thinking that this year I'll get some early pansies in and really get a good garden growing. I imagine getting out of bed early on the weekend and clearing out the mess around the house so everything looks wonderful. But the reality is that I have these ideas every year, and every year I fall short. Oh well. Enjoy your break!

Cream said...

Will be exporting some fresh produce, then?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Carla: You've always got some of the nicest and lengthiest comments...I love it. And an engraved keychain...what a laugh I had. You could give me that ink drawing that you posted for "Tatoo". :) That would do nicely as a door prize. I have managed to get off the couch and painted nearly half the interior of the house. Looks good too. I should have done this a couple of years ago.

Cream: Not until 90 days after transplanting, as the package indicates. I looking forward to creating that pepper dish you highlighted on your food blog. The name of it escapes me right now, but it sounds delicious.

valerie walsh said...

It's been raining here as well! yer so funny and manly too!

LDahl said...

I always like coming here and reading about your life, family and thoughts. I feel like I'm in a living novel...... you seem to bring a great deal of life to the world.

Anonymous said...

Brian, you are sounding more and more like a house wife. Maybe you would like to join Joyce and I for a walk to the playstructure, and a good cup of co-op coffee. I would love to swap some plants too. Maybe we should plan a spring tea, where we can swap our lovely perenials that grace us with their appearing every spring. We could make some brushetta or something. What do you say new girlfriend!

andrea said...

Hey, Brian, where'd you go? I *know* you're not writing report cards so what's your excuse?!?

Brian the Mennonite said...

Thanks Val and Lilah. I'm glad you two make it here as often as you do. I hope I can keep coming up with interesting things to write about as my life becomes busier around Spring and Summer time.

Shelley: I'd be happy to join you on your walks and trade perrennials and recipies. It's when you start wanting me to swap clothes is where I'll draw the line...maybe.

Andrea: Sorry, sorry, sorry. I know. Each time I log on to my computer, I feel twinges of guilt. I am feeling so completely uninspired to write these days. The little painting renovation I did the other weekend has turned into a $1100.00 bedroom makeover with new drywall, lighting, electrical outlets, paint and flooring. I'm doing all the work myself after school each day. I also accepted a term position teaching German full time to grades 4 to 8 until the end of the school year. Besides all this, I've also been sitting and watching my pepper plants grow, which seems to be occupying a lot of my spare time...Joyce thinks it's sexy ( I think ).

Cherrypie said...

It's been so long since your last post, I can only assume that you are hard at it assisting Joyce with her marathon party-throwing. Or are you staying out in the garden and out of the way til it's over? xx