Monday, March 13, 2006

the go-to parent

I'm still waiting for someone to nominate me for World's Greatest Dad. However I might have to decline the award, depending on what time of the year the title is awarded.

I'm often good at what I do, and sometimes I'm not. Depending, again, on the time of year, brian the mennonite can often be found simply sitting on his arse, attempting to hatch the couch...giving it warmth, and protection from predators. Actually, what I do most of the time, is sit where I am right now and crawl around the web while my family misses out on my parenting, and my wife misses out on my help. Maybe that's why my four children usually go to her when things are needed, like a glass of milk, bandaids, sign this form, or "do you know where the remote control is?" "Yeah I do...dad's sitting on it...he's trying to hatch it, the lazy arse."

Sometimes all it takes to get me to pay attention, is for me to be put in a position where I could potentially be embarrassed. I think criticism is perhaps my greatest fear. That certainly lines up with my "C" personality of the DISC personality system. I may not be an exact match with all the other traits, but I'm certainly right in there with the fear thing.

This past weekend, Joyce left for her annual sister getaway. She and her four sisters take off to some rented cabin and eat fruit and hummous for three straight days...laughing their silly heads off. They enjoy the freedom of no schedule, no children, and plenty of uninterrupted conversation. While they are away, I am given an excellent opportunity to shine, or be completely embarrassed. I have to be on my toes meeting everyone's needs, like pouring the milk, applying the bandaids, signing the forms, and searching through the crevices of the couch for the remote...all the things that mom usually does 'cause dad is currenly obsessed with the computer.

I must say that I am fairly happy with my performance. And so yes, now would be a good time to give me that award. Because if it was based on this weekend alone, I would perhaps deserve it. And I have also become the parent who gets asked more frequenly for things around the house. At least it has lingered past the time when Joyce entered our tidy home once again.

I hope it lasts...

I'm a man,
but I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Well done, Brian. I was half expecting disaster (sorry). It's just that the multi-tasking aspect of Woman is no myth and so much of what we do in a day is accomplished on autopilot while doing 4 other things. Mere male mortals are just not hard-wired the same. Or at least that's what I tell myself to keep me from killing my husband ...

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

Cream said...

I'm sure it will last, Brian...until Joyce comes back and takes over!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: Thanks for the sideways confidence. Some of us males try and try, and yet we come to frequent disaster. Joyce still approves every time I give it another go. She has untiring grace.

Shelley: Thanks neighbour.

Christine: Its the cuteness of our stupidity that keeps the women from leaving the men. O.K. its the sex as well.

Cream: She's already back, and I'm still going like that battery bunny. I'm not sure which ones I bought though...the ones good for 20 charges, or the infinite ones.