Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Let me in

Some days as I sit at my desk and try to find some activities for my German students to do to kill time until the end of the year, my mind wanders to the times I've spent in German speaking countries.

One of my favourite places in the whole world, besides home, is Austria. A number of years ago, when Joyce and I were about two months into our dating relationship, I packed up my touring bike and panniers and flew to Zurich, Switzerland. My destination was Salzburg, Austria, but I wanted a drop off point where I could do a fair amount of cycling on my way to where I would end up. I very quickly realized that I had not planned nearly well enough. In fact, I hadn't planned at all for cycling in Europe. I had no idea of the system of autobahns and roads suitable for cycling. It did not take me very long to realize that I was in over my head, so I cycled to the nearest hauptbahnhof (train station) and booked a ticket for me and my bike to Salzburg.

I knew Salzburg quite well as I had spent quite a bit of time there three years earlier. The city and surrounding areas are filled with visual and cultural treasures way beyond imagination. I took the Sound of Music tour once again with Panorama Tours, felt the mystery of the city's hilltop castle, and made my way to the nearby town of St. Gilgen.

When I checked into the youth hostel, I was asked if I would like a key to get into the front door after hours. They said that I might need it if I wanted to stay out late at some of the local clubs. As I had never been to a club in my life, I immediately said "nein danke", and felt confident with my decision.

After sorting my belongings and claiming one of the eight bunks in the room, I headed off to the main walking area of town where I very quickly found a quaint restaurant with a patio. I sat down and ordered "eine beer, bitte". Not more than five minutes later, along came two lovely ladies from somewhere across the English Channel. It was nice to hear their conversation as a familiar tongue takes far less concentration to follow. We looked over at each other about twenty or thirty times when one of the two finally came over and invited me to join them. "Where are you from?" and all that nonsense took no time to pass on the way to their invitation to join them at a local disco. I eagerly accepted and couldn't wait to see a real club...a European club at that.

It didn't take too long for the lovely pair to figure out that I wasn't a willing participant in making pelvic sandwiches or playing tongue touché, as I was quite enamored with my fresh love back home. That didn't stop me from making an utter fool of myself when it came to doing some funky solo dancing to Van Halen's Jump. After that song, which noone but me seemed to know, I decided that it was time to go. I bid my lady friends adieu, I'm sure they were relieved, and headed back to the hostel.

About halfway there, I began to think that it may have been a good idea to have accepted that key to the front door. I spent the next two hours banging on doors and windows, and calling out, "Konnten Sie die Tür bitte öffnen?" ( Could someone please open the door?). I sat quite despondent for some time before someone finally came out from the inside. They were on their way out to a club. I thanked them, and, feeling quite relieved, went to my room.

As the the chap from China in the bunk next to mine snored away, I thought about clubs, and that I haven't really missed out at all.

9 comments:

andrea said...

I got locked out of a youth hostel in Berlin when I was 19. I was already a Bad Girl by then, though. Sounds like you have yet to be a Bad Girl.

Cherrypie said...

I loved the German nightlife. We wouldn't go out until 11pm and then come in with the postman next morning.

I googled my old school exchange friend last night. I've found her but my rusty schoolgirl German isn't up to deciphering the website so I've not managed to send her a message yet. I'll keep trying and at least I know where to come now if I need any hilfe xx

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: I think you're right...my time is still coming. I just hope that Joyce will be as gracious to me then when it all comes flooding in.

Cherry: Sure, come for help whenever you need it...but it better be before I forget the language again as my German teaching position is only short term, and soon the be over. You could also go to www.altavista.com and use the bablefish translation to change your friend's blog into English, or any other language for that matter.

Romeo Morningwood said...

hopefully today I can get through..
When I think Hostel I remember '77, Taos, New Mexico.
While on a ski tour of the SW USofA met a prof who worked with Timothy Leary of LSD fame (not latter day saints)what a TRIP that was.

Heidelberg, Germany,'78, never did find my zimmernummer after a night out on the oompapa circuit. Ich liebe dich HIC haha I said dick HIC..NO REALLY... HIC... you guys are the best!

Christy said...

My first instinct would have been to check my german and make sure I hadn't said something like "I'm here to rape and pillage" which is why no one would let me in.

valerie walsh said...

wonderful and humourous post Brian!

carla said...

Hi Brian - I just wanted to stop by and wish you a good ending to the school year! It's always nice to finish up and know you have a while to slack off a bit. I'll be done in two days...

andrea said...

Good luck at the marathon tomorrow. I hope the weatehr cooperates. Pace yourself!

Anonymous said...

BRIAN! (What!?) It's good to finally be able to find your blog and skim through your entries. It is a wonderfully insightful look into your life (through the pane of a window, it seems), and quite an interesting read. Keep up the postings and I'll probably yell a little at you tomorrow at work! See you later!