Monday, June 19, 2006

The Sacred Feminine

Life is all about curves. We are made of curves, curves turn us on, curves are thrown at us, curves make us change our course, we look for what is around the curve, and we are evaluated on how well we negotiate curves.

The curvature of the spine. Spring training. Plans for the weekend. There's the pitch...and it's a curve ball to the lower right side. Lower back pain. Suddenly I'm concerned with negotiating my way through this unwanted event. I find myself alone in a house all weekend, flat on my back with a pain in my back. What a pain in the ass. Training buddy calls and says, "Are you ready to go?" Through gritted teeth I calmly say, "No, not tonight, I've got a headache." and hope that he's not too disappointed.

The Cherry veneered Walmart bookshelves are crammed with new books waiting to be read. I knew I would get around to them eventually. I start and finish this one, and begin to look for hidden codes in the stippled ceiling...as there is not much else to do when laying flat all day.

Su Doku puzzles. The easy ones are easy and the hard ones are difficult...go figure.

National geographic on the TV captures me with the pretty pictures. Elephants. Big ones. The ladies are in charge. Matriarchs they're called. I think of the Davinci Code and the Sacred Feminine. Another channel talks of violence against women and I think of our Patriarchs and wonder at how wrong it is.

Too much TV and I've got another headache. Time for more medication and another nap. I wake up thinking that I should probably eat something...it has been a day and a half without food. Too late. Too much anti-inflammatories and no food makes for a half a day wretching over the porcelain throne. More back spasms. I lay on the cold floor with tears in my eyes and wish that one of those Matriarchs would crush my head and take my life.

Sunday morning...race day. Happy Father's Day. The family is out of the country and my friends are running in Winnipeg without me. I feel envious and guilty. The church programs on TV offer no comfort. I long for something to hold, so I crawl to the bookshelf. I find what I'm looking for. I get a good start and wish that I could start again. There are many more things in life to hold sacred than "The Sacred".

Negotiating the curve. Self-Evaluation. I think this curve was part of a divine plan. Spring training. Today is race day.

7 comments:

andrea said...

Ah life. What a bitch she is soemtimes, eh? I feel your pain more than you know, except I was stupider than you. I refused to quit after ALL THAT TRAINING and am still paying for it. So good on you. There will always be other marathons but we're issued only one body.

Anonymous said...

nice post brian, sorry your weekend sucked. maybe your right, you may have been given time to do nothing, but ponder for a reason. only a few more days and hopefully things will be looking up. At least it won't all be in german.

Christy said...

Sorry, Brian. Hope you're on the mend.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Hey Homer, tag this post the SACRO ILLIAD.

Despite your horrendous weekend (bonehead men do not get help I understand)
I couldn't help thinking about the Sunday morning Simpsons episode where Homer stays home from church.

It was the best day of his life! In the end with the neighbourhood on fire Reverend Lovejoy talks about how God speaks to all men whether you are Christian , Muslim or (looking at Apu) miscellaeneous. To which Apu remarks there are 800 million of us and Lovejoy says Isn't that suuuperrr.

I imagine by now you will have blacked out again so I should have just said Dude, get some serious medical attention, NEVER take anti-Imflams w/o food! Let us know how you're progressing. I am positive that Joyce will have taken over the sitch by now...geez Homer.

Cherrypie said...

You poor thing. I looked in expecting to see exultant but knackered faces, not squashed vertebrae. Hope it improves soon x

Maybe you can come and run the London Marathon with me next year, instead x

Brian the Mennonite said...

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better...I'm not quite dead yet.
This is a visit from a back injury which initially occerred ten years ago. Every other year it pays an unwelcomed visit. Sometimes all it takes is a sneeze or an uncontrolled roll in the hay. I went to work today and all seemed to be fine, except for the slow-motion walking.
There are many more running races to come, so missing this one is not that disappointing. I'm actually recorded on the time card as having finished in good time as my running buddy Merle wore my time chip. I finished in 1:41. Not bad for not even trying, or even being awake at that time in the morning.

TheTart said...

Ouch!

Take care ... hope the body mends well!
Smooch,
The Tart
; )