Thursday, June 29, 2006

off a duck's back

I'm not all that surprised that my children look a lot like me. In fact, it's quite natural that they do, isn't it?

Today, for me only, was "take the boys to work" day. Joyce and the girls were in the next province over to the right celebrating Arianna's 12th birthday. I was left to manage with the boys. No problem. In fact it was fun to have some time all alone as the Hildebrand men.

The plan was for the babysitter to come over in the morning so that I could head off to my second last day of work before summer holidays. Two days of administration...no students. Simply cauterizing loose ends and enjoying a complementary catered lunch.

This morning, however, when it came time to leave for work, Sammy would not have anything to do with me leaving. He ran to me, with a look of panic in his eyes, and began to cry. I couldn't leave him, so I decided to take him with me. Nothing really pressing to do at work anyway, and it's always nice to show off the gene pool.

As I was entering the school, Sammy got a little ahead of me and got lost in the legs of a few others who where entering at the same time a few paces ahead of me. I knew there would be comments from the females about a cute little three year old boy. What I didn't expect to hear was, "He's just a cute version of Brian".

Thanks ladies...no harm done.

9 comments:

andrea said...

Awww... you're just a "mature version of Sammy." So there.

PS My kids take after me way more than they do their dad. It's that weak Mennonite gene pool ... JUST KIDDING!!! .... now I'm disappearing fast in your rear view mirror...

kyknoord said...

I'd take it personally, if I was you. Never pass up an opportunity for a good sulk.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: It's not so much that it's a weak Mennonite gene pool, as it is a PASSIVE one. It's in our DNA to let others have the lion's share.
Kyknoord: Yes, there's nothing quite as effective as a well-aimed passive/aggressive retaliation.

Cream said...

Cute version of you! You should be proud, Brian!

valerie walsh said...

Hi Brian! This is a sweet post! I always's love looking at people with their kids and how much alike they all look! All of your children are darling and we must give some credit to the wife too! In the book the Great Tao it says that the girls look like the father and the boys look like the mother.

Romeo Morningwood said...

AHA..that's why you guys don't dance!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Cream: You're right...I should and I am. :)
Val: My wife is a wonderful gal, who deserves much more credit that I could describe. I would be interested in reading the Great Tao, but I think I'll have to go to the big city to find it as the church libraries around here are certain to NOT have it. :)
Donn: There are many reasons to NOT dance...this is simply one of them. I actually love dancing, but, alas, my motion-sensitive wife leaves me no choice but to sit and smile at those with capable partners...she has other good qualities. At least two of them. :)

Cherrypie said...

Maybe she meant to say "cuter", not to imply that you're not cute. But then I can't think of any sassy women worth their salt who'd want a 'cute' husband. Brave, confident, caring, strong and intelligent are qualities much more appealing.

Christine said...

Yes, I think cute was meant as a description of Sam's age. A mini you! Adorable!