Monday, October 23, 2006

the commonwealth

It's a better day when I begin it remembering where I come from.

Part of the morning routine is sitting during one of the three S's, either at home or at the aquatic centre. Every time I do, I check to see if there is sufficient paper to do a proper job. But I also check to see if the Queen's standards are being upheld.

meine Mutter


You see, when I was just a wee lad, my mother; I assume wanting her way in just this one little aspect of her multi-aspected, fury of activity, duty-filled life; told me that the only proper way of installing the lou paper roll was to have it coming out from underneath. She went as far as to say that if the Queen herself were to stop in for a visit (I fully expected this to happen from here on in) that her royal aids would be checking, before she entered our home, to see if the paper would dispense from the bottom. Since that moment of teaching, I've never wanted to disappoint Her Majesty.








I have also since realised that there are different teachings on the same subject, much like there are differing views about the Holy Scriptures. You can actually make your view count if you care to vote.

My fear regarding offeding royalty is really nothing compared to my fear of running out of natural resources.


8 comments:

esther said...

i voted...off the front, i say!!

andrea said...

:) I was taught the same thing, but in a fit of belated rebellion started doing it over the top -- and it stuck. Just like good tp.

mmichele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mmichele said...

after world war II, the queen of the netherlands visited my father's family because of their work in the resistance during the war. before she left, she USED THE BATHROOM. i'm not sure which way the roll was hung, or even if they had rolls... just one of life's little mysteries.

Christine said...

I honestly never think twice about it. However, my medicine cabinet and storage under the sink is always pristine. Just incase anyone has a peek. One lesson from me mum.

Cherrypie said...

Only ever over the top. And always 4 spares stacked waiting.

Carlotti said...

I make it a practise to never look before i put the new roll on. Just to try and stay flexible. So far it's kept me flexible, as far as which way the toilet paper roll goes. Never mind everything else!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Always, always, always over the top and in the FRONT!

My word I had no idea that people were apt to fumble about trying to pinch the paper whilst fumbling against the wall??

Down and Out is wrong on sooo many levels. Thank Heavens you have finally discovered this. Whew!