Saturday, October 14, 2006

life cycles

The part of my resume which outlines past work experience includes two summers of tree planting in Northern British Columbia. The first time was in 1987 between years two and three at Briercrest. The second was after graduation in 1989.

Mostly, I did not enjoy my time planting trees. There are a few good memories that I have kept with me, but I did it purely for the money. The goal was to make at least $200.00 per day, which meant you had to plant about 2000 trees every day. There were a few start-up costs like buying planting bags for about $150.00, boots for about $200.00, and a shovel for $45.00. There were also daily camp costs of $25.00 which gave you as much food as one could possibly want, and a hot shower if one had enough energy to strip after eating dinner and before falling into bed.

I recently decided, while cleaning up and organizing the garage, that the bags and the boots finally had to go. That part of my life is over.

While tree planting you learn all sorts of interesting trivia which will likely never be used. Like that it takes about 65 years for a planted tree to grow into an adult tree ready to be harvested again. And also that the trees we planted had about an 85% chance of survival, which I thought was fairly good considering the various things which could hinder the growth of a forest.

Whenever it comes time for me to do a building project using wood, I think of all those thousands of trees I planted so long ago. They are a little under a third of the way through their growing time before they will show their rings again. I sometimes feel like thanking the trees for giving their lives so that we can use their lives to improve our own. My workmate Mar Cadiz from the Westin Hotel would always have this attitude when we would cut roses to put on all of the room service trays. He would apologize to each one and thank them for giving their lives for man's decadence.

One of the more recent building projects I was involved in was building a wheelchair ramp at Ken and Kate's home. Ken needed it for easier transfer during his frequent home visits between times of cancer treatment. I did not feel that the wood was being used in a decadent way for this project. A sacrifice of one for the life of another. After Ken died, there was no longer a need for the ramp, so we took it down and away.

I couldn't bear to see the loss of life compounded by the waste of good wood, so I sent Kate an email telling her of some of the things I thought would be a good use of the wood. She kindly replied saying thank you, but that she would rather not have anything to do with it as the ramp was a symbol of pain and sickness for her. I fully understood. But I had a burning need to do something meaningful with all of that precious lumber. I wanted to make a new beautiful symbol out of a bad one. This brought me to thinking about what Ken's life represented. There were many words which came to mind like family, friendship, community, hope, justice, freedom, being real. Ken brought people together, and so I tried to think of a symbol that also brings people together. An image of two people sitting on a bench came to mind. So I quickly set to making benches, as many as the ramp wood would allow. 13 perfect people connectors.
After seeing the first one finished at a party at Carol's house, Kate said that she did indeed want one. That put a smile on my face, but what I really wanted to do was cry. I'm not sure why.

Each family member will receive one, and the rest will be given to Ken and Kate's friends who would appreciate a thoughtful symbol of a friend now gone.
Mine will take an honourable spot next to another proud use of a tree's sacrifice.

17 comments:

mmichele said...

beauty from ashes.

joyce said...

I want to write asses to ashes, but I too, just would rather cry.

andrea said...

There's something profoundly organic, of the earth, part of life's endless cyclical nature -- or something -- about this post, from start to finish. It's the most spiritual thing I've ever read of yours but it has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Am I being murky?

You are a genius with your hands. Now I'll have to move to Manitoba just so's I can scoop one of those benches. What a fantastic thing to have!

Anonymous said...

Brother Brian, what a beautiful, wonderful post. I think i'll print this one and look at it often. I love the picture of the ramp, then the sturdy strong looking benches. It reminds me that we all did our very best for Ken and each other. We're still trying....Thanks Brian! K

Brian the Mennonite said...

Michele: It just feels right, doesn't it?

Joyce: We all feel that way much of the time. But it's funny (strange) how quickly the space between these feelings increases.

Andrea: You are not being murky at all. I was hoping to present my feelings in just such a way. Life and death is just that organic, isn't it?
I'll make you a bench if you move here, no problem.

Kathy: Thanks friend. I also know of someone who does wonderful things with her words, and sends those words to people who need to hear them, and makes them cry good tears. If you were any nicer of a person, we'd have to add a new deity to our faith. :)

valerie walsh said...

What a beautiful story! It made me cry and that feels good. It made me smile at the incredible idea that you thought of for the use of this ramp.And that felt even better. Your are a true friend and a wonderful human being!

Anonymous said...

Well done Brian,

What an excellent use of the wood, your time and talent. THAT's what we're here for!

Good job following up on the initial pang in your soul and seeing the job through.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Val: It feels good to know that what you can contribute will brighten the lives of others. Like Rod said, "That's what we're here for."

Rod: Thank you. All I need to do now is deliver them. Do you have a truck I can borrow?

Anonymous said...

Brian, that is amazing. I loved the idea when you first told us about it, and I love the finished product and all it signifies. You are the best. Would I be able to fit mine in my car? I'm coming on Wed. Crying? I'm back at it since reading Kate's email -- couldn't sleep till 4 am last night. Hmmmmm

Romeo Morningwood said...

You Rock Johnny Bench!
That is a fabulous idea...and so practical!
Proof positive that you are an authentic member of the species known as 'homo mennonitis'
..able to 'recycle' anything and make enough of it to share with others.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Thanks Mary. But I don't think you'll be able to fit it in the car.

HE: My favourite cook book in this world is the More with Less Cookbook put out by the Mennonite Central Committee. I try to follow the same philosophy when working with non-edible ingredients such as lumber. You can take the Mennonite out of the church, but you can't...(I can't think of a witty ending to that) help me HE!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I am so inspired by your beautiful way of honouring your brother-in-law. I wish I had had you around when we sold the farm after my dad died. I really would have liked to have gathered some of the old wood from some his sheds, but I knew it would just end up as clutter since I'm a procrastinator and don't work with wood much. I did gather some stones from the place he died, though, and have those in my flower bed.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

esther said...

wow brian, i'm at a loss...very moving post.

Christine said...

Beautiful.

Cherrypie said...

That is such a fantastic thing to do. Brilliant, Brian x

Brian the Mennonite said...

Heather: My heart cries out for the loss of wood from your dad's sheds. That would have been a prize. There is just nothing like a meaningful piece of lumber. I'd have it sooner than gold anyday. Those stones though, I'm sure they will always be a precious marker.

Esther, Christine, and Cherry: Thank you all very much. It was a very therapeutic task for me. It was just a bonus that everyone else will be thrilled to get one.

Christy said...

Brian, I think that's an amazing tribute.

Goes to remind us all that "worship" comes in so many forms. Woodwork is definetly one of them.