Tuesday, October 17, 2006

untitled

The only problem with buying stuff is that you have to have a place to put it. The word "problem" here is problematic because it implies an unwanted difficulty. Not so in this case. I welcome it, but it still needs to be addressed.

I recently purchased the above drawing from Andrea's Etsy site. So, faced with the welcomed problem of how to display this new piece properly, I decided to make my own "frame". I told Andrea that I was making it, but it was a frame with a bit of a twist.




The main part of the frame looks much like a typical shadow box frame. I had a bit of leftover crown moulding from my most recent renovation project, so I cut it to size with the ends returned, and attached it to the top to make it into a small shelf.

The plan was to paint the frame, so I applied several coats of Gesso to both pieces.

Unbeknownst to Andrea, I've been a student of hers for some time now and have been trying to learn her methods of painting using layers. Rather than painting black lines at the end to make my section divisions, I painted the whole frame black, and the sections will be divided by the paint from underneath...from the areas of black that are "not" painted over.

So now I have a frame that is really wild looking to compliment a wonderful drawing. The only problem is that the frame is not supposed to take away from the art. Just like the accompanist is not supposed to take away from the soloist. The music is supposed to provide a frame for the words, not smother them. The frame is supposed to provide a fra...er...compli...uh...whatever. I think this frame is far to damn loud for Andrea's nice picture. Or is it?
You could look at it in this way. I love Andrea's work, so I bought some. I wanted to put it in a frame, so I made one. But I thought it would be honouring to her to make it look like I have been studying her work and trying to learn from it (she is a teacher after all. Perhaps I'll take a real course from her one day). Thus the frame compliments the art because the framer is trying to elevate the artist.

I asked my wife, Joyce, what she thought of my project. She smiled and said, "Not bad...for a cheater".

Oh yeah...the shelf is for an earlier Andrea purchase. Something I've been staring at quit a bit lately.

8 comments:

andrea said...

Brian! You astound me! That is the coolest frame I have ever seen. Now *that* is colouring outside the lines! :) We need to go into business, you and I. I loved reading this and scrolling down in order to get the visuals slowly and with the words. 'Course it makes me uneasy, too. When your frames are better art than what's going into them then it's time for me to go back to the framing shop where I worked for 3 nightmarishly long weeks once (nightmarish because of the people, not the job). I'll ship my art supplies to you!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: Please keep your art supplies. I just need you to teach me how to use them properly. You are such a gifted artist and I am proud to know you. You have an incredible mix of talent and communication abilities. If you ever start an art class, I'd like to fit in a couple of session during a family vacation to B.C.

Christine: Thanks you very much.

Cherrypie said...

You clever clever man.

Haven't time to add anything else as I really must get over to Andrea's and have a stab at acquiring one of her fabulous creations. I'll be back when you start taking commissions on the framing x

Brian the Mennonite said...

Cherrypie: "clever"...I like that.
Andrea's creations are even better to hold and see up close. I hope you take advantage of the current prices. I plan on obtaining more before I can no longer afford her.

Carlotti said...

I just stand back in amazement. Beautiful and so you.

Heather Plett said...

Oooo... lovely. I just discovered Andrea, and now I want one of her paintings too!

Cherrypie said...

I got a couple. I keep going back and hovering over the other two. I'm in good company with you x

Brian the Mennonite said...

Carol: Oh stop it. You're just trying to get me to finish your crown moulding and baseboards.

Heather: Get them while they're hot...or should I say affordable.

Cherrypie: Those are exactly the two I was hovering over the moment they hit Andrea's Etsy site. I guess it's O.K. "The Boys" need to start sharing their toys with the girls.