Monday, April 24, 2006

Night Vision

Six days until my first road race. Sunday morning 8:00am I hope to finish in the top 15% of 1500 runners in the Winnipeg Cops for Cancer half marathon.

One thing I appreciate about the Spring is the early appearance of the sun. Running in the dark has never appealed to me, and so now when I get up at 6:00, it's nice to see that the sun has already kicked at the darkness and it has started to bleed daylight.

There is an almost endless kicking sound...or a pounding if you will, when runners run. It's that endless sound what drives us forward, setting us into a numbing trance. It's the trance that allows us to come to the finish without stopping. Kicking at the night, endlessly pounding the ground in an effort to shave some time. A little more of this to shave a little of that. I often wonder why I do it while I am doing it...but when I am done, then I know. I can clearly see the motivation, even if I sometimes have to run in the dark.

9 comments:

andrea said...

I'll be with you every step (and jealous as anything).

kyknoord said...

"I often wonder why I do it while I am doing it...but when I am done, then I know." - It's strange how often that thought is applicable.

Romeo Morningwood said...

There is ONE thing in Life of which I am certain enough, that I have taken the opportunity to tell each of my children at every available opportunity.
YOU NEVER SEE A RUNNER SMILE!
I sit here in awe of you for participating in this endorphinic cardio/pulmonary russian roulette. As for me, the work to fun ratio in running is impossible to accurately measure. So Godspeed Mr I Wonder!
Just Do It!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Andrea: Good...I'm going to need some inspiration to finish in good time.

Kyknoord: It doesn't take much thought, does it, to find another applicable situation?!

Escapeons: They only smile in Niverville...or if they run past the BDI in Winnipeg. The route for the Manitoba Marathon in June goes right past the front of it. Last year I felt like stopping and saying to hell with it, but at that point in the race, there wasn't a whole lot of race left, so I kept going. Tempting though.

Christine: Thanks...are you a runner too? I know you're a midnight swimmer. :)

Cream said...

Good luck with your run Brian!

Cherrypie said...

Good luck, Brian. Richard finished the London Marathon in 4hrs 25mins.

His tip: Don't forget the vaseline!

Christy said...

Happy Belated Marathon..Hope it went well!

I'm on my 2nd cold in 3 weeks. 3.5 weeks left to go. Sheesh!

TheTart said...

Do U with tunes or just the beat of UR own heart?
I require iPod packed with tune~age!

Big running smooch,
The Tart
; )

TheTart said...

Oops, I forgot the word RUN in the above post.
But answer anyway U want. *wink*

Smooch,
The TArt