Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Can you feel the love tonight...

As I drove in to work this morning, the pair of male voices which made up the morning crew on 99.9 BOB FM, asked the question; one of several to be answered correctly to win the chance at a winter meltdown in Mazatlan; who received the most cards on Valentine's Day. Was it a) Mothers, b) Grandmothers, or c) Teachers. I immediately shouted towards the direction from where the voices came, "Teachers". I was correct.

I was looking forward to coming home today with my large bag filled with cards and chocolate and then dumping the whole works onto my scanner and posting the results...but I only remembered the plan when I was halfway home. I entered the classroom this morning to see that my Valentine's mailbox had had a bingeing episode and was nearing a necessary purge.

My 25 students and I spent the afternoon giggling about cards, love, kissing, and "will you be mine". Of course this was only after they had gym to prepare their metabolisms for the heavy consumtion of candy and pink-frosted, heart-shaped, last-night's baking. One of my students was wearing his favourite sweatshirt today which has a logo quite fitting for the afternoon's activities. It read, "Danger: Kid on Sugar". I sent them all home today with a non-apologetic smile. I'm sure they'll send me their love tonight.

Instead of yelling out my answer to the question this morning, I wish I had been the caller...the fifth caller. I would love to spend six days and seven nights in Mazatlan. I would love to spend any amount of time in Mazatlan. Heck, I'd take a couple of hours in a hotel with a hot tub that has a painting of any place warmer than it is in Manitoba tonight. Oh well...if I can't feel the warmth, at least I can feel the love.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

3 comments:

kyknoord said...

Valentines Day in the Northern Hemisphere is something of a double-edged sword. You can't go for walks in the park or on the beach without freezing, but at least you can get comfortably cosy with your loved one without sweating.

The Tart said...

sugar is love!
loved your post.
Happy Belated Valentines to you too!

love miss janes art work!

Christy said...

"Heck, I'd take a couple of hours in a hotel with a hot tub that has a painting of any place warmer than it is in Manitoba tonight."

Classic, Brian. ;)