Monday, February 06, 2006

My desk drawer

I've been on a mission lately to save enough money for a good digital SLR camera. I've narrowed the search down to three excellent choices. In order to speed the purchase process, I have resorted to drastic measures which, as it turns out, my be not so painful in the end.

I made a decision a few weeks ago that if I was to justify buying a GOOD digital camera, I would have to make a compromise in the spending priorities. I could never justify going out today and spending $1600.00 on a camera, so I had to decide, if this is in fact what I want to do, I need to plan for it. As it is, if I put away an amount of money away per month that I felt may be considered as extra cash, it would only be perhaps $10.00 per month. 1600 divided by 10 equals a hell of a long time. So I decided to take a look at what I spend per week on wine, beer, and the like. I found approximately $160.00 per month, which doesn't seem like a whole lot when I think back and compare it to what some of my university acquaintances spent on one night at the bar, which usually exceeded $200.00. I did further calculations: 1600 divided by 160 equals less than a one year sacrifice of no purchased alcohol to have a good digital SLR which would last a very long time. So now, on Fridays, instead of walking down the liquor isle in the local grocery store, I take $40.00 from the bank machine and put it in my camera fund; along with whatever I find laying around the house...a quarter here, a loonie there...just not the dollar coin from the change tray in the van. If I ever touch the sacred shopping cart loonie, I'm a freekin' dead Mennonite.

I've now saved somewhere around $250.00, and am not feeling the least bit deprived. You see, when I say that the money saved will be from alcohol not purchased, it doesn't stop people from bringing the drink, which they have purchased, to our house. (Sounds like a freekin' Mennonite thing to do...doesn't it? ) Walter still comes over for dinner every Wednesday and brings a bottle of some fine selection. Our Superbowl guests came with their arms full yesterday and had many varieties of fermentation. And to top it all off, Alice, dear sweet, thoughtful and generous Alice from the land of milk and honey, was in the liquor mart on the weekend and was feeling guilty about her purchase because she knew poor Brian was at home with his $40.00 in the jar and nothing to drink, when she decided to buy him a little taste of heaven. She came into my classroom this morning and presented me with these little pallet pleasers. I told her that I had always wanted a bottle of liquor in my desk. You never know when the appropriate emergency, or combination of emergencies will arrise. I told her that she was a good friend. As she walked out of the room, with a big smile and a laugh, she said, "No...I'm a 'du' friend."

11 comments:

The Tart said...

pretty pricey cameras..i love my sony super something 4 pixels...wait a bit and the 8 pixels will be much cheaper.
go to cnet.com for reviews by users and editors, for your cameras and other goodies...good stuff.

you lost me on your comment to jody..what rhymes with endorphins?

booze & running = interesting
great family photos you have, lovely crew!

andy said...

I use a similar kind of logic - I look at the cost of things I can't readily justify spending money on in terms of the number of days I have to cycle to work instead of taking the train in order to recoup the cost. At 13.5GBP a day, that'd take me 44 days to accumulate enough "credit" for the E500 twin lens kit, which would be my choice. And I get the benefit of the exercise, too.

Trouble is, that saving never actually materialises in my bank account, as it never got spent in the first place. Hmmm... it'll be a while I think before I'll join you in getting that camera...

fwiw, I've always found the in-depth reviews here very helpful.

andrea said...

That does it. If you get one of those beauties I'll have to quit visiting, except by letter bomb.

Christy said...

Under NO circumstances is my husband allowed to see this page. We tried both of those at Christmas and he has been looking for an excuse to keep booze in his locker at work. I fear he could develop a reputation.

joyce said...

Christy- you tried both varieties of booze, or camera?

Notes to self: Do not leave wallet on kitchen counter. Place all hockable heirlooms in safety deposit box. Find new drinking buddy.

Anonymous said...

Did I read that correctly, was that code Plaid? Interesting emergency, but probably an apporpiate one.

Christy said...

Both kinds of booze...;) We found this recipe for choco-martinis that had JD's in it.

mmmmm...martinis.......

My new low will be drunk blogging.

Brian the Mennonite said...

perle: by the time I save enough for the camera...ten months...the price may have come down somewhat. Perhaps I'll have enough for two by then. :)
I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what rhymes with endorphins, but thanks for trying.

andy: I got the idea to look at the E500 from comments left on your blog by one of your regulars. After looking at it, I was quite impressed. It is the one I will most likely be getting, and with both lenses too. I can't wait...but I will.

I can't believe how expensive your train costs are. It's no wonder you cycle to work. It isn't right for the cost to be such a large percentage of one's daily income. That is outrageous.

Thanks for the camera info link. It was quite helpful.

andrea: If I do get one, I'll never tell. And if I post any pictures taken with it, I'll make them look really bad. :) I promise.

christy: If your husband happens to be a pilot for the now defunked Liberal party, I would encourage him to set up a bar, including plumbing, in his locker. I guess maybe I'll ask Joyce to ask you what your husband actually does for a living the next time you guys talk.

janice: You win first prize. No one else seemed to notice my little hidden picture. You're probably good at those "Where's Waldo" books. huh?

joyce: Just put your wallet near the broom or the dishwasher or laundry room...I'll never find it there. :)

Sprinkles said...

LOL I love that picture!

Itty bottles of booze mixed in with the kiddie reward stickers...

Priceless! And there are definately days when taking a little swig from the bottle would make the clock tick a little faster toward dismissal, eh? :)

I remember well!

I haven't given in to the justification of cost for an SLR digital camera... I use a Canon PowerShot Pro 1 and it suits me just fine. I also have a little Casio digital camera that can fit into my jeans pocket for easy on-the-go shots! Photography has become a real therapy for me after I left teaching...

http://www.flickr.com/people/insanityinfusion

Best of luck in saving up for your lovely camera!

Truly,
Insanity Infusion

Leesa said...

Tough choices on the camera. I've heard the digital rebel and the nikon D70 are great cameras. I did splurge and buy a more expensive digital SLR, but I absolutely love it and use it often. I think photography, along with blogging, is therapeutic. I think you'll love it once you have it :)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Insanity: Isn't it great. You're right...a little swig some days would do the body good. I'm glad I don't teach junior high. I would go for the 40 ouncer.

leesa: I'm looking forward to finally having one. It seems as though when I take pictures now, it takes me half a year before I see them.

Welcome to my blog by the way. It's good to have you here.