Sunday, February 19, 2006

Marcel Dubreuil

High school has always been a time of excellent memories for me. Even though I chose to spend much of my time hanging around with people that couldn't give a rat's ass about life, I cherish the remnants of hope and beauty which regularly rose to the surface during our times at the pool hall and smoker's corner.

As one of my electives, I chose art with the very interesting teacher Marcel Dubreuil. Many of my friends also chose art, as they thought that all we would doing was filling in the spaces between the lines in a well-chosen colouring book. They were, I hope, pleasantly surprised.

I think I remember every lesson taught by Mr. Debreuil, and I use many of the same lessons, scaled down a bit, to teach art to my grade two students. The lessons are simple and yet very intelligent; easy and yet very challenging. Of all the classes I've ever taken, I remember and cherish these the most.

This is a drawing that I was inspired to do during my grade twelve year. I had it matted and had it on display for a while, but it somehow got into the hands of a toddler and received a bit of extra love. I've fixed it as best I could manage using Photoshop...

...and then destroyed it again...
Isn't this fun?

6 comments:

Sprinkles said...

I really like the eyes in that sketch...

the first sketch that is :)

Art is an amazing thing...I love it when creativity wraps its arms around me like a soft blanket and guides my hand in the makings of something that I really cherish.

Truly,
Insanity Infusion

carla said...

Photoshop is useful...and fun! That's a great drawing you did in high school, and of quite a fetching young lady! I still have quite a few pieces I did in high school, and surprisingly I can remember what we were doing in class when I did them. Of course, I also have lots of sketchbooks and doodles. Those are my favorites:> Anyway, I'm sorry not to get back to right away about the turtle painting. I really hadn't thought about selling it, and to tell you the truth, I'm pretty attached to it for a number of reasons. Perhaps the most important reason is that it just makes me really happy when I look at it! But, if I should ever decide to sell it, I will most certainly get in touch with you. I have to say that I am immensely flattered that you would want to purchase it, and pleased that you stopped by and left a comment! Do let me know if you're ever interested in any prints. Take care - Carla

TheTart said...

I love this. So beautiful.
Speechless.

Smooch,
The Tart

ps...more drawing please!

Anonymous said...

btw, dad has website... www.starcenterart.com

cheers
carm

Brian the Mennonite said...

Hey Carm...thanks for the comment. I remember your dad talking about you quite a bit, and I remember him using you as a model for many of his paintings.
Thanks for the link to his website...his work is beautiful.

Ninas said...

Hi Brian,

I happened on your blog as I googled Marcel Dubreil. No one has mentioned anything here of Marcel's passing this past week so thought I leave the info here.

Received this in an email..."Many of you are aware that Marcel Debruiel has passed away. He had an aneurism, surgery, coma and days after passed away.
I was so shocked when I heard the news. I will be attending the celebration of his life on July 31, 2:00 at the Morden Rec Centre.

you will all remember he did a seminar for the Barnswallows ...on the use of color and lines in quilting.
He will be missed by many , including the art community of Southern Manitoba for sure.