Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Meaningful gifts

When it has anything to do with composing a picture, I cannot recall a time when my daughter Jane has ever taken the easy route to getting a project done.

Today, she had her best friend Eve over after dinner.They had a lovely time playing, as usual, and when it came time to leave two hours later, Jane wanted to give her a parting gift. Jane composed, using her large collection of smelly markers, this lovely field of flowers. I only got to see it as Eve was leaving and asked if I could quickly scan it before she left.

If I was a nine year old, I would want to be best friends with Jane.

I have written before that I think Jane has an artist's eye, and a purposeful touch with a brush. As early as preschool she has caused me to look more than once.
Jane called this one "sisters" because she loves her big sister "Eeyanna".

She didn't have a name for this one but described it as having gold colours and pretty designs.

I had the privilege of being Jane's classroom teacher for one year. She was in my grade one class at Christian Heritage School in Brandon. Just 10 kids to mentor that year. Private school...how dreamy.
I read Psalm 100 to the class and asked the students to draw a picture of what those words made them see in their imaginations. Jane drew the above picture..."These are the people, and they're praising the Lord".

If there's anything I have to praise the Lord for, it's the three women in my life.

12 comments:

Sprinkles said...

Wonderful prose!

No wonder you're saving up for a fancy schmancy camera - you're living with three models who need portfolios done! :)

Truly,
Insanity Infusion

joyce said...

Imagine my Joy this morning at saying to Jane: Look at daddy's blog- Look how proud of you he is!

Christy said...

It is so heart-warming to meet another family with such artistic leanings.

Loved this blog.

Christy said...

I got a smelly marker birthday card that my daughter composed at school yesterday...smelly markers are an awesome medium.

Awesome job, Jane!

andrea said...

*Sniff* I wish you were my daddy! :) I've been trying to figure out which of these I like best, but they all have something really special that grabs me. I also wish I was 9 again and Jane's friend...

What an unusual experience teaching your own daughter! The closest I ever got was the year I taught Grade 1 half-time and my older son was in the K class across the hall.

valerie walsh said...

This is the sweetest post and i love the picture of your 3 women. They are so happy and loving!!! the pictures Jane has created are beautiful!
This is the 1st I have heard of smelly markers and it made me laugh...

Brian the Mennonite said...

pennylane: Thanks for your comments here and on my previous post. I just finished reading to Jane all of these comments and, without her saying anything, I could tell she was touched. When I read to her that you wrote "Wow" as a descriptor for her field of flowers, she did the Jane combo, which is grin and blush at the same time. You helped to make her day...thanks.

Insanity: You're absolutely correct, they are beautiful. You not only helped to make Jane's day, but also Arianna's and Joyce's. You know how women are...always craving nice words.

shane: You've just made a big impression on Jane with what you said. Not only did you say words of encouragement, but you are an artist and a teacher from an exotic land...which really helps to stimulate interest. Jane wants to find out now who Joan Miro and Paul Klee are. We'll Google them later and have a look.

Joyce: I thought you would like it. :)

Christy: Smelly markers are great and they are always the ones that last the longest. They're very juicy.

Andrea: I'll be your daddy. Sorry...I just HAD to say that. :)

You made Jane smile when we read that you said you wanted to be nine again and be her friend.

Being across the hall from your son would be the next best thing. I would find myself peeking out of the door every five minutes to wave through the door window.

Val: I remember well the day I took that picture. It was about four years ago. When we got the film back from processing, I instantly fell in love with the image...and my girls all over again.

Smelly markers are simply those markers that smell like the colours. Lemon for yellow, orange for orange, cherry for red, etc.
I'm glad it made you laugh.

Christy said...

This blog reminded me of the Robert Munsch story "Purple Green and Yellow". My kids love that story and it's funny and artsy all at the same time. Kinda' like me I guess. ;)


http://www.robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=51

Leesa said...

Beautiful photos and post :)

Cream said...

Hi, Brian! Managed at last!
Great to see kids grow! I have kept a couple of drawings by Adam when he was 6 or 7. He's now nearly 25!
Great family you have!

WCTs said...

So glad to hear Jane was happy about my post of her great artwork!
I love the colors and how happy it made me feel.
Please continue to add her art to Flickr...<: -)

=^..^=, The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South!

TheTart said...

Smelly markers rule! Cherry is a favorite of mine.

Tell Jane I love her drawing where all the kids have their arms raised up!
What a happy feeling & so well drawn.

Smooch to you & please post more of Jane's drawings.
The Tart