Monday, February 13, 2006

Consumerism

There are two recipe books which Joyce and I are proud to have in our possession. Not only do we possess them, but we make it a practise to make something from them regularly. I know that they are Canadian best sellers and wouldn't doubt if they were very popular in the States as well. The books are The Mennonite Treeasury of Recipes and More-with-Less Cookbook. Both are dedicated to promoting healthy eating and, at the same time, consuming fewer of the worlds resources.

I called Joyce from school today during my prep and she told me she was cooking. When I got home, I immediately smelled the delicious aroma of one of my favourite Mennonite soups: Cabbage Borscht.

Joyce bought her copy of "The Treasury" from the local MCC thrift shop for 25 cents. It came complete with some elderly Mennonite woman's handwritten notes telling what's good and what works best. It's almost enough just to read the cookbook and not use it.

No soup for me, however, as I decided last night that my body needed another cleansing and started another five day fast.

4 comments:

WCTs said...

Would you provide us with a photo of the cookie section?
Yum yum!

Lyn & The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South
=^..^=

valerie walsh said...

I hope you have a Happy Valentines Day Brian!!

andrea said...

You're a brave man, Brian! How do you continue your training while fasting? I'd find that nearly impssible.

Greg used to make cabbage borscht. Popping some in the blender created Carl's first solid food.

Brian the Mennonite said...

lyn: perhaps one day I will. There are some really good ones. But some really strange ones as well...one even has ammonia as one of the ingredients. ugh!

val: Thanks...and I wish the same for you.

andrea: I actually quit my fast this evening. I was too hungry as I was burning too many calories even at rest. Training does wonders for the metabolism...race, race, race.