Sunday, November 12, 2006

eschatology

Have you ever wondered at the extent to which you are willing to be taught by another human being. I mean, what is it, or what will it take for you to put your mind in the hands of another flawed human and be willing to accept, on a grand scale, their teaching.

I used to be quite enthralled and vehement in my study of the book of (eating too many funny leaves) or Revelations. I was VERY excited whenever the next book in the Left Behind series was released. I would gobble up every word in a day and a half and then settle in for another eight months of waiting for the next in the twelve book series to be released. I was quite saddend when it finally ended.

That was several years ago.

As life moves on and situations become more wonderfully diverse, minds also expand. The school of life is every bit as wonderful as eight years of formal post secondary education. I would argue that it has a lot more to offer. Especially when one puts their mind into the hands of someone honest to the realities of the world.

That may seem a bit ambiguous, and it would be correct; it is ambiguous. And it is entirely local.

I had a conversation with a relatively sane adult about the concept of truth. A statement he said has been with me for over a year; and that is, "Truth is local and (?) is universal." I can't recall what he said was universal. I'm looking forward to the next time we have dinner together so I can ask him. I want to learn from him.

This is what I think it means. People will believe what they want to believe, even if it is contrary to the stream, as long as there are enough "credible" people (i.e. people in their "locale") that believe the same thing. Or it may mean that something may be true for a time, like the Germans are consumed with world domination. That may have been true for a hundred years or more, but if you speak to a German today, that would not ring true.

I say all of this simply to bring up the issue of running out of fish. Yes, that's right. Fish. The CBC has recently issued an article online commenting that if current sea harvesting practices remain constant, scientists have warned that fish stocks throughout the world could be wiped out by 2048. We all know what that would mean for the rest of global life, don't we? So is this really the end times? Will it end this way? Consuming?

But is this really true? How do I know that this is not simply a local truth and not a (?).

I used to be consoled with the local truth that I would be rescued from one particular end result, but this one is quite different. On one hand, do I really believe it? And on the other, what does it mean for me and my four children who will be adults with young families during the crunch time of this outpouring of consequence. Makes me want to move to Wolseley, hug a tree, and protest malathion spraying. I think this sort of reaction is ingrained into all of us.

We really just don't want to be left behind.

4 comments:

Romeo Morningwood said...

Talk about 'fishing', LaHaye needs a swift boot in his left behind!
The only thing that drove me crazier than how the fundies treated Genesis...was how they knew everything about Revelations, or as I called it, the Book of EXIT-US.

Now hey any millenialist worth his salt knows that a fire insurance conversion is as good as any other and since 1948 the clock has been ticking!
It was comforting to realise how OFF all of the modern 'GO signs' of the end times are for my dear friends, the dispenSENSATIONALists..
Now I have to blog about this because it makes me furious to think that I wasted even half an hour of my precious youth on this hogwash...AAARRRGGGH!

We are running out of fish because many countries like Japan, Portugal, China...are eviscerating the ocean of anything that swims...and pollution is doing the rest...even countries like Canada who have know about this for decades did absolutely NOTHING because they needed East Coast Votes. Now the Gov't is content to shut down the Fishery and let the East Enders move to Alberta...either way, there aren't many fish left.

Brian the Mennonite said...

"I will make you fishers of men" because there won't be any REAL fish left.

LaHaye and Jenkins are really profitting from all of their interpreting. The publishers cry, "More, more" and they very willingly answer the call. They write about exactly what the fundamentalists want to hear. "In the end...we win." It doesn't seem to matter if the story line is completely contrived.
But, like I said earlier, I also ate this all up. I couldn't wait for the next one to come out. I wonder sometimes at my heart's longing. Why did I want this kind of ending to be true?
I thought that the twelve book series was done. But as I checked my own link, I find that they are still going, now I think it's with a prequel SERIES. There's so much more milk to squeeze out of this fat end times cow, I guess.

Romeo Morningwood said...

As a former Pentecontesticle I writhe like a wet witch at the thought of anyone else getting the last word in on the end times..
I mean the Pents OWN eskimotology...
the first among believers will not be last when those trumpets sound me boyo!

Heather Plett said...

Have you ever seen or read the interview Larry King did with the five or so most influential evangelicals in America? I found it quite interesting, and rather revealing that Brian McLaren was the only one willing to talk about the environment.

You can find the transcript here... http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0502/01/lkl.01.html