Thursday, November 02, 2006

Jane


She's done it again. My second born child has come home from school with something that stirrs a feeling within me befitting the word pride.

When I was in university studying for my education degree, there was a seemingly endless barrage of group projects to be done. In a third-year English Language Arts class I was grouped with a couple of much younger students than myself. We became good friends. Two of my favourites were Natasha and Jane. They were both very interesting in their own ways. Natasha was tall, elegant, and had the most wonderful thick dark brown hair. Jane was cute, fun and, artistic, with a sensitive edge.

During this time, Joyce and I were expecting our second child. We were not the type of parents who chose to pre-know the sex of their children, so we needed to come up with name options for both. My groupmates both said that if we had a girl, we should use their names.

We discussed several options, but when the day finally came, Jane was the obvious choice. Ten years later, our admiration of her is ever increasing. She is definately a Jane...and definately not a Natasha.

11 comments:

mmichele said...

that's her work? it's brilliant.

andy said...

That would make a fantastic Christmas card (I'll buy a pack!)

joyce said...

lucky girls--Jane gets the artist from her daddy, and Yanni gets athletic coordination. Whew!
love you, babe.

Heather Plett said...

Love it! I'm with Andy - she could sell cards!

Anonymous said...

A great set of happy snowmen!!
Definitely a Christmas card, Brian!!!

Carlotti said...

Love it. I've noticed that Jane often includes an element of relationships in her art. I've got auntie-pride glowing here....

andrea said...

And she's an artist, too. What could be better? Jane is one of those eternal names that I love. Didn't the Barenaked Ladies sing about your daughter?

Brian the Mennonite said...

I showed Jane all of these comments, and you've all made her smile. She asked if someone really said that they would buy a set if she made them into Christmas cards. I could see the consumer wheels spinning as she wondered.

anna said...

Wow! That is impressive. Look at the expression on those snow-faces! Add me to the list - I'd buy those Christmas cards too.

Romeo Morningwood said...

That is a great piece..does Jane have a title for it?
Jane is an awesome name..
especially if your hope is that she marries into the Royal family...or moves to the jungle with Lord Greystoke aka Tarzan or she can add Calamity and join Wild Bill's Circus.

Christine said...

Oh I love when you post Jane's pictures. You did it again, Jane! Great job.