Wednesday, November 15, 2006

late harvest

I was eight years old the first time I smoked a cigarette, but it was not the store bought variety. We were a little more creative in the seventies.

It was the early seventies when I developed a curiosity for things that were typically taboo around home like swearing, nudey magazines, smoking, and parting my feathered hair down the middle. Afterall, Darryl, Edwin, Alvin, and Kelvin were all doing it, why shouldn't I?

Autumn was a time when young lads could easily find themselves tempted to be boys. The rotting leftover garden produce was a tempting harvest for the late evening. We would wait in the shadows alongside highway 32, waiting for unsuspecting travellers whom we could pelt with what we gleaned from our neighbour's backyards. It was always more exciting when they would screach to a halt, turn around, swerving from gravelled shoulder to gravelled shoulder, and begin the chase. We would run like the devil, thinking that we would be killed if caught. We never did end up dying.

Harvest time was usually better for hanging out late. At least it felt like it was late because it would get dark sooner. The harvest moons made the evenings seem mysterious. Late harvest was always a little better. Late harvest meant corn harvesting time. This was the time that the little tufts of hair protruding out from the tops of the ears of corn would be nice and sugary brown and thoroughly dried out. I'm not sure who was the first one to figure this out, but someone decided to take some of this prairie weed, roll it in zigzag paper, and light it up. Oh how sweet it was. We smoked a whole bunch of this stuff. We were cool. The sweet taste on the lips lingered until hours later. When it was time to go home I remember wishing that I didn't still taste it because surely mom would smell it. I can't recall that she ever did.

Last week, as I was driving home, and my hair not really parted at all any longer, I noticed a corn harvester pulling off a crop from a field to the south of the road. As I drove and looked left towards the field, I had a slight craving for that same sweet taste. I thought about my youth and retraced my curiosity.

My oldest son is eight years old. I wonder what he is curious about.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. I can so picture that harvest moon. It is always a treat to meet another blogger from Manitoba.

Heather Plett said...

Sounds familiar. We smoked the stems of bullrushes. And (gag) plastic straws stuffed with toilet paper.

Romeo Morningwood said...

That explains a lot of things about you...
why corn mazes are so popular...
and why kids today need to watch more TV instead of running wild in packs smokin' corn.

I believe that someday they will decriminalize smoking corn tufts in Canada..
but it will never happen in the States.

Hey Man, I'll see if I can find my old 'Keep Off The Corn' hat that I wore in high school.

PS,
You shouldn't be'watchin CORN', especially when you are driving.

Anonymous said...

Have to be even-handed and wish you the best of luck for the awards!

Anonymous said...

Brian, what a fabulous post. The best. I can smell the harvest air. Mmmmm...I love fall. I like you too. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thanks for taking us all back into those growing up years. Lovely post.

Christine said...

:) You crazy kids! I think it's so important to remember these times in order to relate to our children and understand what goes through their little wonder minds.

I didn't grow up on a farm but my cousins did and we always had a blast on visits. Nothing like running from evil turkeys or getting lost in the corn.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Colleen: Thankd for your comment and the visit. I think there are quite a few of us bloggers from this province. Calling all Manitoba bloggers! Party at Brian's house...maybe not. Joyce has already got half the province coming for an ugly sweater party.

Heather: Plastic straws with toilet paper? I'm sure you didn't have to take more than one drag to realize the sort of idea THAT was.

Donn: I only watch corn 'cause I can keep the one glass eye focussed forward. At least it looks like I'm keeping an eye out for deer. Flying deer that is wearing a pink chiffon vest. yeah, and a harley tatoo,and, and...

Cream: thanks for the wish. I'm glad you popped in to the misses. She liked that.

Kathy: And I like you even more!

Rod: Do you think we could encorporate the corn idea into our guitar and scotch Thursdays?

Christine: It's funny what goes through their little minds. My eldest son said to me today after swimming lessons that he thinks about a lot of strange things. I asked what he thinks about, thinking that he would say something about naked chicks or touching his nelson, but he said "I think quite a bit about Jesus." You never know...

Carlotti said...

Hey Brain,
Great post and thanks for stirring those memories of Joyce and Ken smoking pencil shavings (or something!) out by the barrel while they burned the garbage. I would have joined them, but was too busy reading, I guess.

Are you taking a blog-vacation? I keep looking for something new and exciting!

See you tonight.

Anonymous said...

Great remembrance post! I never smoked corn tassles, but did a few other things. As to what your 8-year old is curious about - you probably don't want to know...

Brian the Mennonite said...

Carol: I think Ken just TOLD you they were pencil shavings. We both know how naive Joyce was/is.

Winston: I think I have a pretty good idea what he wonders about. 30 years ago seems like a long time but some of my thoughts are still as clear as if they were yesterday. Quite typically male and healthy, really. Now if I can convince him not to absorb the guilt that the church likes to throw at society for it's wonderings. I spent too many wasted days living with guilt.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Will you be creating a new blog while you are in the witness protection program?

LDahl said...

I'm starting to wonder if the UGLY SWEATER MONSTER got you?
It's too quiet here, eerily quiet...
Someone mentioned The children of the Corn, didn't they? Brian have you returned to your roots, corn roots?
No more partaking of the tassel for you young man, get back here and blog!
:)))

andrea said...

Oh where oh where has my little friend gone oh where oh where can he be?...