Sunday, January 01, 2006

Andrea's Egg...unauthorized

Andrea recently posted a painting from her archives which she submitted for her illustration Friday topic of Flavour. I thought, as many others did, that it was quite a stunning painting, although I did not leave a comment (I feel somewhat inadequate when it comes to entering into the world of art).

So, in lieu of an inadequate comment, I honour her with this, my version of her still life. I created this with the red and green leaves of the poinsettia plant. I made it look Christmassy because I thought her egg was quite in keeping with the season (red...green...you get the picture). I hope to one day move away from craft and go on to creating something truly artistic.

One of my goals for this new year is to become more deeply drawn into seeing the world through the eyes of an artist. There is an immense resourse for inspiration and learning available at the end of my fingertips as I tap away at my keypad.

I love the way people are not like me, and life is truly exciting when you live life beyond yourself and take the time to see the world through other's eyes.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Thanks, Brian (blush). I just wrote a comment on Caroline's other blog (Caro's Words) that relates to this: i.e. the value of creating something with your hands. Many people support "The Artist's Way" book/programme as a fantastic, practical way to free up that creative aspect of all of us. Every library has it.

andrea said...

Forgot to mention that I love the image. It's very strong. Is it a manipulated photo?

Brian the Mennonite said...

I pasted the leaves onto stiff card paper and then took the egg and placed it where it best matched what your painting looked like, then I put the whole thing on the scanner. It came out quite dark, so I did a little adjusting of the light. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cream said...

That's a very good interpretation of Andrea's painting! Clever! You're a good egg, Brian!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Thanks cream. As I was producing this, however, my wife thought I was a little cracked.