Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Clever quotes revisited

Occasionally I will come across a crumpled piece of paper that is unusually appealing, and I will find that my curiosity is stronger than my embarrassment of picking garbage. I have on several occasions stopped in the middle of a sidewalk to pick up a tempting wad and curiously unfold its mangled hull. I don't recall ever having found anything worthwhile, but it is always a satisfied curiosity that I am after. Finding bits lying around the house or in pockets of folded clothing always brings hope of a forgotten treasure.

My wife's curiosity was getting the best of her the other day as she was cleaning up my side of the bed. Besides the lamp, alarm clock, loose change, and a couple of half-read books, there are the remnants of pockets which have been lazily discarded at random. Some of these remnants I was saving to be found, treasures if you will, at a later date...to be savoured. Well Joyce was the gold digger this time and came across a clever quote which brought a smile to her face. At first she thought it was something that I had heard somewhere, and had written it down to save for an appropriate retelling...until she read further and found that she was the source of the quote.
The note read:
"Time is really more about priority than time itself. - Joyce Nov. 5, '05 7:45 after 2 drinks"

She found this to be so appealing she wrote about it in her blog. She's so clever.

There are more gems written on the note but I don't think that she was able to read them. When I'm in a rush to write things down, my scratch is only decipherable by the author.

The rest of the note contains a reference to a book that I want to read, which was suggested by a friend:
Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Matter

and another quote by Joyce:

"I guess there were no available disasters."

I remember laughing long and hard after she said this and I simply had to write it down. A few years before we met, Joyce volunteered with Mennonite Disaster Service to help out with the needy of the world. She was assigned to Wichita, Kansas as a member of a group of five or six to fix up peoples homes and aid in the repair of some churches. Being handy with a hammer and a few power tools would have been an asset. She had grown up on a farm where these sorts of things were being done almost every day, but her dad and brothers were the ones doing it. So when she was asked to hang a door and build a staircase, she felt completely useless and altogether in the way. Someone asked her that night, "Well why in the world did they let you go if you were not needed?" Without any hesitation, and with the sort of laugh that makes one weep, she simply said, "I guess there were no available disasters."

1 comment:

andrea said...

This is a fantastic post, Brian. Both enjoyable and enlightening (and it reminds me that I have forgotten to read Joyce's blog lately!). Gordon Neufeld is often interviewed on the CBC and though I haven't read his book I am a huge believer in his philosophy and have wanted to attend one of his lectures as he's a UBC prof I believe. Let me/us know what you think of the book.