Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My left hand

There are many things you can learn about a person from looking at their hands. For instance, if you look at mine closely, you would notice that I am married because of the ring on my finger. You would be able to tell the time because I wear my watch on my left wrist. I keep my nails fairly short and clean on my left hand as I am a guitar player and long nails just wouldn't do. Today I have a blue ink stain on the end of two fingers as I had a fight with a leaking overhead projector pen.

With my hands I point to a raised hand in my class to offer permission to speak in answer to my questions. I give a thumbs-up to encourage a correct response and a high-five for a greeting in the hall. Today I used my hand to offer condolence to a sniffing child because she was sad that someone said she was peeking when she really wasn't.

In the summertime, you would be able to see more of my calloused look as I become quite involved in maintenance and construction projects around the home and with friends. They are dirty during the day; covered with sawdust, drywall compound, and paint; and cleaned at night to rest and anticipate tomorrow. The skin on the back of my hands becomes dark because I like being outside in the sun. My wedding ring becomes loose as I find little time to eat...can't stop...working. They are quick to help because changing directions is easily done while moving.

Left to observation alone, much would remain unsaid about a person. Looking at my hands would not tell you that I look forward to my morning coffee like Romeo longs for his Juliette. They would not sing of my love for jazz and good lyric. They would not whisper of my cravings for solitude and quiet. My penchant for liver pate and Merlot would go unnoticed. The need for the elation of achievement would be my feeling alone.

When it comes to giving to the needy, it has been said, "...do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing..." When you are the one in need, we are also reminded, "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Whether giving or in need, telling or unknown, our hands are tremendous instruments of grace. They can dispense it or receive it; reflect it or withhold it.

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
(sorry...this post was getting far too bloody serious)

5 comments:

andrea said...

You deserve a hand for such a fine post. *clap* *clap* *clap*

joyce said...

sexy.

Anonymous said...

Brian

"The need for the elation of achievement would be my feeling alone."

What the hell does that mean?

Brian the Mennonite said...

By looking at my hands, you would not be able to see that I have a need to achieve,and that by achieving, I recieve a certain feeling of elation. That feeling would only be mine...it would not be conveyed by simply looking at my hands.

Or on the other hand it could mean that I touch myself a lot and I enjoy that feeling quit a bit...and often.

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Is there a difference between a need to achieve and a need to create? With so many of your talents tied to artistic expression I would expect the need to create.

(see, I can run through here without my boots on)